gearbox no drive 3rd and top

changread

Hi all, my first post for some time, good to see the forum still going strong, my lovely series 3 lightweight gearbox went bang when driving, holding it in gear i can get 1st 2nd and reverse, no 3rd and top, looking for suggestions to get it repaired, Mike.

I had similar a couple of years ago, although I could hold third too. Turned out that the mainshaft was in two pieces.

It's going to have to be opened up to be sure. I'd prepare myself for a large bill.

Dan

Sounds like the 3rd / 4th gear synchromesh hub has failed in some way. It is possible to lift the cab floor to gain access to the top of the gearbox and remove the top cover for a peek inside. Does the gear lever move to the correct positions to select 3rd or 4th?

I think a broken selector fork is the most likely explanation, though a failed synchro hub or sheared main shaft could also cause the same symptoms.  You’ll be able to tell by removing the tunnel cover, gear stick and gear box top cover.  But any one of those will need a gear box removal and rebuild.

Thanks for the reply's, no alternative, has to be removed.  Found a company in Bodmin that recondition series gearboxes and use quality gears from Italy also have bushes made from Bronze not cheap brass ones, £425 exchange😲 might have to ask for advise as I'm tackling it myself, fortunately it was rebuilt on a galvanized chassis in 2000 all the floor and seat box fixings have fixings have removed as they should, as it's a lightweight doors are lifted off making access easier. two week holiday coming up and then the heavy work begins...

Hmm.  Rebuilding the box yourself with good quality bearings, bushes, seals and synchros is going to cost at least a couple of hundred pounds.  Add a any gears or shafts (expect to replace the reverse idler gear and shaft) and you’ll likely exceed that recon price.  Be wary.  Doing it yourself is the only way to ensure good quality control - too many reconditioners re-use parts that should be scrapped; they have employment and workshop overheads that we don’t, and they still need to make a profit.

Fair comment, looking back before my time the gearbox was a recon unit from Paddock's £380 back in 2005 covered 7000 miles !!!

Wish i had the knowledge to rebuild it myself, getting it out and in is about my lot. Landrover Les I call him only up the road from me was an active member on this Forum and used to rebuild gearboxes but sadly he is not well and no longer active,

Mike