Land Rover 2.5 17H Petrol Engine

kevin50

I'm useless when it comes to Engines,
At the moment I am rebuilding a series 109, and have a 2.25 petrol engine that is at local Rebuilders to get a price for rebuild.
Sen this one on EBAY Land Rover Series Defender 2.5 17H Petrol Engine Remanufactured | eBay
Now are these a better engine then the 2.25, and would it be an Easy Ish fit, as in would I have to alter mounts ect or use different gearbox ??
Thanks

Yes, easy, better. See my thread where i rebuild one for my lightweight. Slight changes on the exhaust, you might need to swap the thermostat housing over.

Same mounts, same clutch, different ring gear, metric bolts everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Yes, easy, better. See my thread where i rebuild one for my lightweight. Slight changes on the exhaust, you might need to swap the thermostat housing over.

Same mounts, same clutch, different ring gear, metric bolts everywhere.

Thanks Just trying to weigh up the cheapest option, Rebuilders quoted between 12 to 1600 depending on what it needs doing, but then I will need to buy carb , alternator , fuel pump ect, this one has everything on so might be the cheaper option .
So not sure weather to make an offer or not.

Is there a link to your rebuild thread Mate ?

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Fantastic job there Mate, wish I was that clever. still thinking about making an offer, but hoping to get a price for my 2.25 in the mean time, then decide which way to go.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks Just trying to weigh up the cheapest option, Rebuilders quoted between 12 to 1600 depending on what it needs doing, but then I will need to buy carb , alternator , fuel pump ect, this one has everything on so might be the cheaper option .
So not sure weather to make an offer or not.

Is there a link to your rebuild thread Mate ?

What Paint did you use Mate, is it just brushed on  ?? 

Paint man duck egg blue. Cheapo dribbletastic spray gun. Two coats.

It's not bad. I've one major job to get out of the way before I can get back and finish the job.

My big worry now is making it Ethanol proof. E10 proof. I can see a day when it's the only thing we can get......

Deciding to rebuild your current engine or buy an engine for direct installation is a false argument.  I’d say it’s unwise to fit a replacement engine directly unless you have extensive knowledge of its history and condition.  Realistically, you’ll have to strip and rebuild it just like the original engine.  The 17H is better and the carb will give improved fuel economy, though, so if you can afford that engine and to rebuild it, I’d go that way.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Deciding to rebuild your current engine or buy an engine for direct installation is a false argument.  I’d say it’s unwise to fit a replacement engine directly unless you have extensive knowledge of its history and condition.  Realistically, you’ll have to strip and rebuild it just like the original engine.  The 17H is better and the carb will give improved fuel economy, though, so if you can afford that engine and to rebuild it, I’d go that way.

I know what you mean Mate, but its either get mine rebuilt or buy one that has been rebuilt, but like you say it could have problems,  cash wise its Either Or so so if I get a decent price for rebuild on my original I might have enough left to buy a decent carb ect.

If it has been rebuilt recently by a reputable outfit, then fair enough.  If it has been done by an owner, you can take a reasonable punt if they can show you receipts for parts and honing/reboring/crank grinding, but anything less I’d treat as needing a rebuild.  The only engine remanufacturers I’d trust are Turner and ACR - the prices for others suggest a lot of skipped work, a lot of marginal old parts and very cheap pattern parts.  Basically, you’d be getting a repainted used engine.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, rednaxela said:

Did you buy the engine in the original post's link, Kevin?

Would certainly be a nice replacement for a 2.25 and not a world apart in appearance either.

No Mate let it go , dont think he got the asking price,  still waiting on price for mine, will give them a ring monday then go from there.