Bumper D ring. Fitting Questions/Concern

I ordered a D ring which came today, so as to have a recovery point on the front of the vehicle. Now it has arrived i have just realised that the second set of bolt holes are so that it attachs to the bumper. My query is that the bumper is very thin beeing one of the bowler wildcat style copies on ebay (1.6 - 2mm thick).

Obviously the rear holes have the actual bumper bolts go through it but the front holes need to bolt into a nice flimsy bumper. Should i try putting abit of 3mm plate inside the bumper for the bolts to tighten against or is that a non starter?

Basically will i be able to be pulled out of whatever mess i get myself into without distorting the bumper?

Cheers

Ben

a plate between the inner face of the bumper & the extra 2 bolts would do the job, maybe beeter ti fit a pair of jate rings [rrc3237] to the front chassis & just make sure your rope is attached before going into anywhere that you could get stuck in.

Just a point to note, in my opinion the top mount D rings should be used in pairs with a bridle. The bridle should be connected to one of the D rings, passed through the loop on the end of a recovery rope/strap (rather than connected to it using a shackle), and then the end of the bridle connected to the other D ring.

Only gentle recoveries on one only.

Same as Jate rings - I would use them in pairs with a bridle for anything other than light recovery.

Regards,

Diff

Just a point to note, in my opinion the top mount D rings should be used in pairs with a bridle. The bridle should be connected to one of the D rings, passed through the loop on the end of a recovery rope/strap (rather than connected to it using a shackle), and then the end of the bridle connected to the other D ring.

Only gentle recoveries on one only.

Same as Jate rings - I would use them in pairs with a bridle for anything other than light recovery.

Regards,

Diff

This has got me thinking ?, I have the standard tube steering gaurd wich uses one of the towing eye mounting bolts each side. Having bought jate rings I now realise the same problem and have put the jate rings under the back. Would it be better to buy a steering gaurd with towing eyes or use the towing points lower down and keep the standard steering gaurd. By the way I was always told the flat blade type of eyes fitted to vehicles are purley meant to be used as transporter lashing eyes and were never meant to be for towing. As you can tell I am on a Yorkshire/ wife managed buget, every peny counts.

This has got me thinking ?, I have the standard tube steering gaurd . . .

Months ago i spoke to the engineer responsible for that bit of tube on the front of some defenders - apparently its a requirement for one of the countries in which defender is sold, and while marketed as a steering guard by some ebayers and by Craddocks it will not in fact stand up to any abuse. I have seen how little damage they can take at the local pay and play site, so just be careful and dont rely on it

Lewis :)

By the way I was always told the flat blade type of eyes fitted to vehicles are purley meant to be used as transporter lashing eyes and were never meant to be for towing

absolutly correct Don't even think about using these for any towing or recovery purposes, a pair of jate's with a bridle/towrope everytime, fitted before venturing into any possible sticky situations.

be prepared as the scouts would say :D

Ben

i assumed in email repsonse that the metal of the guards front leading edge was in the way, is that the case or are the JATE rings too narrow with the guard fitted. (if the former then cut away some of the guard, if the latter then look for the other options)

i would second the above on the D ring fitting and advice to fit two of them use the bumper rear attachement bolts then some 8.8min front bolts through the bumper with a spreader plate.