Clutch.

kevin50

In another pickle here. About to fit clutch but not sure what Part numbers I need for fork and thrust bearing.

I already have clutch plate and pressure plate but the pressure plate is one of these which states series 2 and 2a  Clutch pressure plate-S2/2A petrol - Paddock Spares

Been told my gearbox is series 3 so will this lot work together with what Ive got. https://www.paddockspares.com/clutch-cover-1.html

IMG_20211001_190157.jpg

IMG_20210926_191226.jpg

IMG_20211004_185439.jpg

You need series 3 clutch components to match your gearbox, the ones on your new engine won't work with your box.

So, clutch cover 576557, plate FRC2297, clutch arm 576137 - probably cost a fortune new, so look online for a used one, they don't wear out and FRC4679 release bearing.

Edited by simonb

24 minutes ago, simonb said:

You need series 3 clutch components to match your gearbox, the ones on your new engine won't work with your box.

So, clutch cover 576557, plate FRC2297, clutch arm 576137 - probably cost a fortune new, so look online for a used one, they don't wear out and FRC4679 release bearing.

Thanks Mate called in at my local Landy place today and he ordered the very same part numbers for me.

will keep a hold of these ones of military engine   as there brand new,  also got the 24 volt kit alternator with brackets and pulley  distributor with leads, starter motor ect all fully reconditioned take offs ready to go .

Not sure what to ask for them as some of these bits cost a fortune to buy, but will advertise them when I think of a price.

Google the parts you have and select images/shopping. It should then come up with something, even old finished ebay listings and the prices. Your alternator has to be worth £150 at least and you know the new price of your "wrong" clutch parts. If you sell the dizzy complete with leads then again that's got to be another 3 figure sum at least - they are no longer available from most spares places and yours is A1 new condition.

Please tell me this is right got clutch kit today , Im certain the plate is centralized ok, but when I fitted the cover it would not line up at all with the 2 dowels, only way it would go was to put one of the dowels in the hole but the other was not in any, first pic is bottom dowel in hole, second shows dowel not in any hole. everything is flush up against flywheel with no gaps though, bolts are just nipped , not torqued yet.
On the Origional earlier 3 prong cover plate both holes lined up to both dowels,

IMG_20211007_192531.jpg

IMG_20211007_192543.jpg

IMG_20211007_192625.jpg

The plate is defo correct has it has the coarse splines.

There should be 3 dowels on the flywheel not 2 this maybe the issue as you maybe trying to line the wrong holes up , I don't think there is a difference to a series 2 flywheel, but no doubt someone will say if there is. The series 3 cover is 1/2" larger diameter than a series 2, but I thought the dowels and bolt centres were the same.

Take the driven plate out entirely and then try fitting the cover. That will give you the correct alignment for the cover. Are there spare dowel holes in the flywheel?

Edited by simonb

21 hours ago, kevin50 said:

IMG_20211007_192625.jpg

I cannot say anything with authority about dowels per se, but I think I see a problem with the starter pinion gear ever engaging with the flywheel ring gear. If the flywheel is incorrect it throws any current questions about dowels into the long grass.

Regards.

2 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

I cannot say anything with authority about dowels per se, but I think I see a problem with the starter pinion gear ever engaging with the flywheel ring gear. If the flywheel is incorrect it throws any current questions about dowels into the long grass.

Regards.

Local landy place said my flywheel  2 dowels  is for 9 inch clutch, I have fitted 9.5 now , dowels wouldn't match up anyway I tried, but they said that the dowels are just for location, and as long as the 6 bolts line up it wil work.

10 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

I don't doubt what they say about the dowels.

The picture appears to show clear air space between the flywheel teeth and the pinion teeth.

Regards.

Think it's Just the camera angle mate, I'll try and find a better shot

13 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Local landy place said my flywheel  2 dowels  is for 9 inch clutch, I have fitted 9.5 now , dowels wouldn't match up anyway I tried, but they said that the dowels are just for location, and as long as the 6 bolts line up it wil work.

The dowels are there to ensure the cover is dead centre on the flywheel , without accurate centralising it will cause vibration and longer term accelerated wear to rear main bearing. 

Your choices are 

1 series 3 flywheel

2 get yours drilled and doweled for three dowels at a machinists

3 use a series 2 diaphragm cover and 9" driven plate and remove the ring fixed to the centre of the fingers to give correct thrust arm position 

Steve

1 hour ago, steve b said:

The dowels are there to ensure the cover is dead centre on the flywheel , without accurate centralising it will cause vibration and longer term accelerated wear to rear main bearing. 

Your choices are 

1 series 3 flywheel

2 get yours drilled and doweled for three dowels at a machinists

3 use a series 2 diaphragm cover and 9" driven plate and remove the ring fixed to the centre of the fingers to give correct thrust arm position 

Steve

Thanks Mate.   

Won't the 6 bolts lined up be enough to centralise it ?  mine does have spare empty dowel holes, are they interchangeable ?

When you say that.. can you get your series 3 cover to line up with 3 empty holes or 1 dowel and 2 empty holes in the flywheel? If you can, then you just need more dowels.

The dowels and their cover holes are to a tighter tolerance fit than the bolt holes, so it ensures a more accurate fit. Bit like why cylinder heads have dowels to locate them.

Edited by simonb
  • Like 1