Wheel nuts again

Simon_CSK

I have just come to remove the wheel on one of my cars and the locking wheel nut is huts spinning. Either the thread is stripped or more likely the splines on the hub are stripped either way the result is the same. 

My first thought was to drill it out but my drilles are not making a dent in the wheel nut, is this some kind of hardened steel?

Ideas please.

Hardened ? Most likely. After all, they are not meant to be easy to remove.

If you have to drill, try Toolstation for some cobalt drill bits. Start off with about 4mm and make larger if it works. Use cutting oil to keep it cool. maybe get someone to spray it on while you drill. Just a squirt every few seconds.

Good luck !

However, when this happened to a friend (he lost the key socket) we ended up having to cut the wheel and tyre off with an angle grinder. Had no drill though, and he was in a hurry, and has even less patience than I do

I turns out that  the key is made in 2 parts. The main body and a band for the interlock. All other Land Rover wheel nut keys I have are one piece casting. 

The lock is spinning in the key so have ordered a new key on Ebay. What idiot designed a two piece wheel lock key!! Grrrr

While you are waiting, if the security key is not hardened, you could try drilling through the side wall of the security key, tap the hole and thread a bolt into the recess in the security nut.  This may prevent the key turning.  If it does, you've gained a day or two, but if not, wait for the new key to arrive!

Mike

1 hour ago, Troll Hunter said:

While you are waiting, if the security key is not hardened, you could try drilling through the side wall of the security key, tap the hole and thread a bolt into the recess in the security nut.  This may prevent the key turning.  If it does, you've gained a day or two, but if not, wait for the new key to arrive!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did think about trying to weld it but couldn't find my welder. I know I have put it safe somewhere which means it will turn up in the most unlikely place I can think of.