S208 VNT

Think I’m having issues with my Turbo Technics, doesn’t seem to be spoiling or making the same boost levels. It’s coming up for 9/10 years old. She has been parked up inside for the last two. Could it be a sticky/perished actuator? Anyone know how to fault find and check over this turbos and what pressure it would have made originally? It was supplied via IRB along with a map, intercooler etc 

If your location is correct, the weather is very unkind to anything metal (and wood) so as said, probably something sticking or blocked because of corrosion, or rubber bits perishing. 

Even the engine valves need checking.

Be careful with VNT turbos. They are known (in factory form) to get soot build up on the variable vanes and they get sticky or stuck. My HS International 2.8 Tgv did and it flogged out the pivot shaft and actuator linkage . 

I had to strip it down and braze repair them. 

Teal arrow is the end of linkage from the vanes inside the housing

Orange arrow is the shaft that is peened over to the back side of the linkage plate

Pink arrow is the pressed tin adaptor end of actuator.

IMAG0109.thumb.jpeg.67d6b3c788dc0f76e9cab25f30f23818.jpeg

P1010290.thumb.jpeg.3b4442cbe446b50341242586a82b3670.jpeg

Edited by uninformed

Had a look at all the pipes and they are fine and are all silicone. Vanes are free and pin is still in tacked. My thinking is the actuator isn’t pushing the vanes open when the boost increases.  

ill give Ian a call tomorrow and see what he says and update the thread. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry forgot to update. Took the turbo off and sent it back to turbo technics. They stripped it down and found that it was worn out. They also noted that the veins weren’t moving correctly inside. They upgraded it to the lates spec and sent it back. 

18 minutes ago, aaronjp1990 said:

Sorry forgot to update. Took the turbo off and sent it back to turbo technics. They stripped it down and found that it was worn out. They also noted that the veins weren’t moving correctly inside. They upgraded it to the lates spec and sent it back. 

Thanks for the update, I bet that wasn't so cheap?