Petrol Pump Identification

GeorgetheLandy

Hello all, 

My 1964 Land Rover Series was having trouble starting so I thought I’d start with some of the obvious causes and tackle the petrol pump first.  The old one was very dirty and there was a lot of oil on the lever arm and on the back where it bolts to the block.  I purchased a new Bearmach pump and fitted it with new gaskets and now the engine starts first time, for now at least.  The question I have is, how donIntell if the old pump is the original or whether it’s an after market somebody fitted years before I owned it? If it’s the original I will repair and restore, but if it’s an after market then it can be donated or scrapped.  Any thoughts, knowledge?

Hope everyone’s all good and staying safe.

Gary

1 minute ago, GeorgetheLandy said:

Here are some photos of the old pump, just trying to understand if it’s the original from 1963 or if it is a replacement added along the way. It does have what looks like a solid copper lever arm.

Thanks

Gary

083098BA-F8EB-4F2B-A5BF-BCD658CF2402.jpeg

FE62BA93-23AA-4A11-92A4-7689FFAE8AC5.jpeg

AAD0A46A-BE2F-4782-93C9-AA5821C49593.jpeg

FAB7D804-8085-4B8B-AD30-FC6D298CA40D.jpeg

EEEAED40-052A-41FD-828B-36FC336BFD5E.jpeg

E4D41756-32FE-4DBA-A80E-5E905238EFA8.jpeg

Just noticed it has the AC logo on the top, so assuming it is the original AC Delco pump.  Is this correct?

Pumps are service items and could have been changed at any time of its life. An AC pump is period correct I would think. If this is of importance to you then it is easy to inspect, it is either going to have excessive wear on the lever face, wear on the lever fulcrum pin or a diaphragm leak. The other thing is it could be the filter.

If you can find replacement parts then rebuild and refit.

Land Rovers are like Trigger's broom, totally original, it's had 3 new handles and 2 new heads.

But I can see that it is nice to see one that is period correct with matching patina.

7 hours ago, missingsid said:

Pumps are service items and could have been changed at any time of its life. An AC pump is period correct I would think. If this is of importance to you then it is easy to inspect, it is either going to have excessive wear on the lever face, wear on the lever fulcrum pin or a diaphragm leak. The other thing is it could be the filter.

If you can find replacement parts then rebuild and refit.

Land Rovers are like Trigger's broom, totally original, it's had 3 new handles and 2 new heads.

But I can see that it is nice to see one that is period correct with matching patina.

Yes, I plan on restoring it and do have a kit but wanted to make it was worth it, which I believe it is.  It did/does have oil on the hand lever but was relatively clean around the gasket area so was wondering if oil could have leaked through the lever mechanism in any way.  I’ll disassemble this weekend and replace all the parts needed to get it up and running again.

Thanks for the comment.

Gary

Could be a "period" replacement by the looks of it.

These days, with the additives in the fuel etc., it is with older vehicles a bit of a struggle to keep the fuel lines etc. 100 % working.

Clean it and, if you want, overhaul it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steve b said:

AC Delco was the original supplier and the slotted screws put it in the correct era too . The poppet valves should be checked too . 

I'm with you on original if practical 

Steve

Thanks, I hope to get to it this weekend, pleased it’s there and just needs a little TLC.

thanks for confirming and advice on valves.

G

On 3/9/2022 at 7:28 AM, Arjan said:

Could be a "period" replacement by the looks of it.

These days, with the additives in the fuel etc., it is with older vehicles a bit of a struggle to keep the fuel lines etc. 100 % working.

Clean it and, if you want, overhaul it.

I have started the restoration, stripped it down last weekend and will clean thoroughly before replacing the valves and diaphragm etc.

thanks

Gary