Need Help Again

kevin50

Well Ive well and truly done it this time, realized I had put a longer bolt in the front shock so thought well couple of minuets to swap them over, went and snapped the dam thing didn't I, in another bad temper so went hell for leather at it , tried drilling, then to top it all off went and snapped a bit of this bar trying to knock it through.
The bas!!rd wont budge now from either end. Don't know how I'm going to get out of this one. 
Any Ideas ?

IMG_20220323_175233.jpg

IMG_20220323_175247.jpg

IMG_20220323_180641.jpg

27 minutes ago, pete3000 said:

Depends if the bar is tool steel, however try grind a flat spot on it, then get some decent cobalt drills and start with say a 3mm to get a centre, then work up to a larger size till you can use a drift again.

It is hardened steel tried a couple of drill bits but no good, will need better ones I think,

Just now, Wytze said:

Sharpen a good stone drillbit.  Just in the way you would sharpen a steel drillbit.  And start slowly.  Cool it with oil

This will work, however I would try other things first

Spray bolt with penetrating oil and see if you can work it backwards and forwards with some stiltsons and see if it will free slightly

The hammering has probably swollen the bolt, you could cut it flush and use the max size punch you can use without damaging the steel bush the bolt sits in, smaller punches will deform the metal and swell it making it tighter

Access to a mag drill would help to drill it out and keep it central

When you do get it out try the next bolt with some copper slip on it, this will prevent the metal surfaces from picking up and make any future strip down easier regards Stephen

• Like 1