Power Steering/Belt noise - NTC9070

Maverik

Interesting one, Def 200tdi - PAS pump NTC9070 - out the blue after taking the engine out last to re-do the rear oil seals on putting engine back in the PAS belt (what I thought) has started squeeling. When engine is removed the PAS pump is just dismounted (not dissconected). - put a new belt on, no difference, replaced PAS pulley... no difference. I removed the belt and ran her and there was no noise so it is from the PAS area.

I did wonder if the crank pulley was dirty, so threw some soapy water at it and it didnt do anything.

Took the belt off and span the pump by hand and it feels normal with no noise.

Odd symptoms, if you load the engine by steering when not moving the noise doesnt really change, - which to me means its not actually a belt slip problem, as I'd expect the noise to change when the pump is loaded - so am I hearing the noise of a front bearing failure in the PAS pump?

Cheers

Mav

3 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Curious. It didn't get knocked putting the engine back in did it ?

Mo

No I doubt it, pretty straight forward operation. - but I was working out how old it is, I remeber replacing it when I put the engine in which was 2014 apparently! so its not done too badly, I just wonder if all the taking it on and off in the last 6 months has just unsettled it? anyways new one just arrved so I'm off to go change it before the snow tomorrow!

• Like 2

I had a noise like that, did my head in for ages as I tried to resolve it, new belts, and all sorts. Turns out the pulley was *just* loose enough to squeal under load but tight enough to not move when I tried turning it with the engine off. I removed and cleaned it all up rebolted it and did it up tightly again and it was all ok afterwards.

Hmmm I fear that something has gone amiss when I changed the injector pump, if you follow the rub marks it looks like the tensioner has diverting the belt back into position after possibly being bumped out of alignment off the injector pump pulley.

I think I need to have a look at the injector pump make sure it's sitting square on the housing.

• 3 weeks later...