Bouncy Boost Gauge

SiWhite

I've just wired my Racetech boost gauge into the Landy. It's been plumbed into the inlet manifold in 6mm OD pneumatic line.

The thing works well, but the needle bounces like mad. On boost it jumps about over a 5 psi range, making accurate reading impossible. Plus, it rattles like mad!

I imagine that the problem is probably 'resonance' (not the right term I'm sure but it feels about right :D ) in the pneumatic line, causing a 'bounce' in the pressure within the manifold. I'm sure this is completely normal for the engine, but it's a pain when reading the pressure.

I need to be able to 'damp' the movement of the gauge, so that it reacts more slowly to changes in pressure. I was thinking about filling a centimetre or so of the end of the pneumatic line with epoxy resin and drilling a teeny tiny hole through - so the pressure still actuates the gauge but there isn't enough airflow to cause the bounce.

Would this work? And is it the best solution? Is there anything available commercially that would do the same job?

I've just wired my Racetech boost gauge into the Landy. It's been plumbed into the inlet manifold in 6mm OD pneumatic line.

The thing works well, but the needle bounces like mad. On boost it jumps about over a 5 psi range, making accurate reading impossible. Plus, it rattles like mad!

I imagine that the problem is probably 'resonance' (not the right term I'm sure but it feels about right :D ) in the pneumatic line, causing a 'bounce' in the pressure within the manifold. I'm sure this is completely normal for the engine, but it's a pain when reading the pressure.

I need to be able to 'damp' the movement of the gauge, so that it reacts more slowly to changes in pressure. I was thinking about filling a centimetre or so of the end of the pneumatic line with epoxy resin and drilling a teeny tiny hole through - so the pressure still actuates the gauge but there isn't enough airflow to cause the bounce.

Would this work? And is it the best solution? Is there anything available commercially that would do the same job?

Norgren used to make a needle valve which was used as a throttle in the gas mixing panel on our old Laser #1, pretty sure you will get these from RS although quick search reveals no leads, I have D04 / D06 / D08 in stock which probably were in thou's. I don't need them anymore (different gas panel) so send me a PM and I'll post them.

Alternatively use a gauge which is oil filled RS 852-154