3dr Range Rover of the 1986 vintage...

Orange

I am off to look at a 3.5 carbed 3dr RR on Saturday and wondered if anyone can shed some light on some of the more annoying/awkward places that are likely to be infested by the dreaded tin worm?

I'll be looking closely at the chassis, rear body crossmember and the inner wings and arches, but where else is likely to have gone to pot??

TIA

Adrian

Had a funny feeling that might be the case!!! :rolleyes:

Sensibly, the inner and outer sills and bottom of the A and B pillars, rear body x-member, rear arches, front inners and footwells. Chassis rear end from foward of the rear axle backwards (if you see what I mean) is liable to be worst. Come to think of it, that doesn't leave a lot! :rolleyes:

If you're handy with the electric glue and an angle grinder none this is particularly expensive, just very very time consuming ...

AndyG

Original 1972 Range Rover, with replaced inners, sills, rear x-member ... etc etc etc ... bah! :)

Doors, upper and lower tailgate, bonnet - all easy enough to replace if the rest of the truck is good enough to justify it, though. Top tailgate might be a bit pricey. Wheel arches. Behind the headlights. Like the hobbit said, I think between the three I've had most bits were rusty...and most of that was down to one truck...

To be fair, Orange has a rusty 4 door one to use as a reference, and we were kinda wondering if the 2-door rusted in any different places to the 4-door? I know very little about rangies, but I know more than I ever wanted to know about sticking rusty disco's back together that I am very wary of rusty rangies!!!

To be fair, Orange has a rusty 4 door one to use as a reference, and we were kinda wondering if the 2-door rusted in any different places to the 4-door? I know very little about rangies, but I know more than I ever wanted to know about sticking rusty disco's back together that I am very wary of rusty rangies!!!

Ah, well - can't add anything helpful then. All three of mine are/were four doors.

Chassis can rot just behind the large crossmember that has the rear "A" frame attched to it. The place it rots is on top of the chassis leg where the 45 degree webb is as this fills with mud and does not wash out. Also behind there is the hole that the brake pipe runs through.

Another place is all around the rear spring mounts, in front, inside and behind!

Lots of fun :D

Chassis can rot just behind the large crossmember that has the rear "A" frame attched to it. The place it rots is on top of the chassis leg where the 45 degree webb is as this fills with mud and does not wash out. Also behind there is the hole that the brake pipe runs through.

Another place is all around the rear spring mounts, in front, inside and behind!

Lots of fun :D

There is a buyers guide for 2 door Range Rovers on the Range Rover Register forum. Link to it is here:-

2 Door Range Rover buyers guide

You will need to register for the forum in order to be able to view it though!