How to check if the diff lock to working as it should -defender off the ground on axle stands

Having almost completed my 110 chassis swap and upgrade to a 300tdi/R380 I got a second hand disco transferbox off a friend, but status unknown, says 28DxxxxxxxxE 1.222 ratio 4WD on it.

Now I want to fit the linkage for the Hi lo (this seens to engage ok) and the diff lock. But I'm not sure if there is a problem with the diff lock. 

110 off the ground on axle stands with prop shafts on.

Looking at the diff lock selector nipple, using a 10mm spanner, I can turn it to the far right there is a click/clonk when slightly rotating the hand brake drum. (I call this the 2 'o clock position when looking forward towards the windscreen and it is angled away from the gearbox).

This I assume is the Diff lock engaged position. I have it in 1st gear and the handbrake drum only rotates slightly because the engine is engaged through the gearbox. If I put the gearbox in neutral, then the handbrake drum is free to fully rotate. This works in Hi and lo, same test in gear and in neutral. So I am assuming the hi lo is ok.

When I turn the diff lock nipple back left, one position to the centre (I call this the 12 'o clock position) gearbox in neutral or in 1st gear, the handbrake drum can fully rotate but not the front prop.

When I turn the diff lock nipple a further turn to the left (I call this the 10 'o clock position, it's angled towards the gearbox) and I'm slightly rotating the handbrake drum, I then select 1st gear, so the engine is engaged the same as in the 2 'o clock position, I can still fully rotate the handbrake drum with no resistance from the engine being engaged. Both props turn.

Do I have a problem with the transferbox?

Apart from getting a flat tyre repaired, this is the last problem before being able to give it a test drive.

Can any kind soul please help? 

Edited by Paul butfustet

Everything in neutral . Hand brake on diff lock disengaged , front prop will turn freely. Diff lock engaged  front prop will only turn a small amount - the backlash in the locked centre diff.

Another resurrection , pic's please :) 

Steve 

The diff lock mechanism/spindle has 3 positions/clicks but only 2 are actually used. You need to find the correct 2 out of 3 using the advice given in the post before mine. No need to have engine running or even main gearbox in gear.

12 hours ago, Paul butfustet said:

When I turn the diff lock nipple a further turn to the left (I call this the 10 'o clock position, it's angled towards the gearbox) and I'm slightly rotating the handbrake drum, I then select 1st gear, so the engine is engaged the same as in the 2 'o clock position, I can still fully rotate the handbrake drum with no resistance from the engine being engaged. Both props turn.

Do I have a problem with the transferbox?

Have a closer look, I think you'll find the front prop is turning opposite to the rear prop/handbrake in this situation. This is because of the center diff and only possible when the diff lock is disengaged. Your other test confirms that when the diff lock is engaged, everything is locked so there is no rotation possible with the gearbox in gear.

On 5/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, steve b said:

Everything in neutral . Hand brake on diff lock disengaged , front prop will turn freely. Diff lock engaged  front prop will only turn a small amount - the backlash in the locked centre diff.

Another resurrection , pic's please :) 

Steve 

I setup as you said and the results were as you said.Here is a video confirmation. I had to trim back to 20mb. It was a minute long because I did it the test twice to make sure. Many thanks, I've learned something I can re-use in the future. Cheers, Paul 

• Like 4

Excellent , peace of mind on an important detail . 

If you have time to post a few pic's of the build I'm sure others too will be interested or even a mini build thread in members vehicles (also a good online record too )

Steve