Ferrex tools

Anybody got experience of Ferrex tools? They have brush less cordless angle grinders at the moment. I wonder how good the chainsaw is. The cutting discs do seem ok. Ok I know they originate from the aisle of stuff you don't know you wanted at Aldi and they aren't Milwaukee but if you are 70 you wonder if you need something to last 20 years.

I notice they have the Ferrex pro brushless stuff in at the moment.  I had recently lost my impact driver and was considering getting the ferrex pro as a  replacement - but then I found my impact driver.

I like a lot of the aldi/Lidl gear as, whilst its not as refined as some of the braided gear, I find it value for money. And it has a 3 year guarantee,  which is pretty good.

I agree with you on the "why do I want something that will last 20 years" coment too. My sentiment is why buy professional quality when I only do DIY?

I have gone the Lidl route as I wanted the impact wrench - its OK but certainly ain't a Milwaukee.  Am I happy with it for the price I paid - yes. I also got the drill with 10mm chuck - OK for £20 for a bare unit - a bit underpowered in that it stops if the drill snags (10mm drill through 10mm steel plate) but it did complete the task. The recip saw is OK. I also got the angle grinder which did not have as good a review as the Aldi one.  It is not as good as my Bosch corded grinder and initially I was disappointed with it, however I have used it a lot now and I can tolerate its shortfalls for the convenience it gives.

As has been said above, you will need to buy batteries and a charger, so consider that when buying.

If it was not for the fact i wanted the impact wrench I personally would have purchased the Aldi gear because of the grinder reviews,  but only if I wanted to get more gear using the same batteries. It's great having the convenience of cordless tools,  but even better when you have an array that uses the same batteries. 

If you do purchase this, please give us a review when you use it.

Just a quick PS. I don't like buying poor quality gear and one thing I would always choose good kit for is drills and grinders as with me they can get some hammer. I always used to go for blue Bosch for grinders as they lasted, bit now the supermarket stuff is so cheap it's almost a consumable.

One thing to look for with a grinder is how easy is it to use and operate.  I often use a small grinder with one hand and some are not the easiest for one handed operation,  so check that out before you buy it. Make sure you can hold and operate with one hand - look at where the switch is.

Edited by Mossberg
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mossberg said:

I agree with you on the "why do I want something that will last 20 years" coment too. My sentiment is why buy professional quality when I only do DIY?

Equally the same kit that will last that long also means you're less likely to get a failure short term. Nothing more annoying than being short on time, having workshop time planned then getting  part way through something and having a tool fail. Be that a simple spanner or something more complex.

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Equally the same kit that will last that long also means you're less likely to get a failure short term. Nothing more annoying than being short on time, having workshop time planned then getting  part way through something and having a tool fail. Be that a simple spanner or something more complex.

I do agree - buy quality where it is needed. However,  what you spend on one tool you can't spend on another,  so target your spending. 

Many times with basic tools I would prefer something that is 30+ years old but in good condition than some of the modern gear. For instance,  I recently purchased a vice which I think is about 1950s - it was a bit tatty looking but I knew the quality was far more likely to be better than the ones available new. Cleaned, oiled and painted - still looks used but I am not afraid to use force when tightening. 

Cheap spanners are a no-no when using on rusty fixings. I have a Kennedy socket set and that 13mm bi-hex socket is a good fit on the brake caliper bolts. I would not be happy using a cheaper socket as they are just too slack and would not want to risk rounding them off.