Wooden Garage Doors

It’s getting to be time for me to replace my up and over door with a pair of timber doors - there is no space for a roller door and letting the tyres down is getting old.

Couple of questions then please …

It’s a concrete sectional garage and it has a wooden subframe (top and sides), that the up and over door mounts off, and the timber is planed to 57mm x 68mm.

What size material would you use to make the doors from to hang from that?

Normally I’d want to use tantalised rough sawn - about 95mm wide x 18mm thick…

My concern though is that that would be a lot of weight .

Any advice really appreciated ! 

Weight of the doors should not be a problem, as the lintel keeps the uprights apart. If you were hanging a gate, for example, on a single upright post, then weight can become a problem.

The problem you may have if when the doors are opened. The weight will be trying to pull the frame sideways from the walls, but as long as it is properly fixed it should be OK, but being a sectional building, I wouldnt know if the walls are up to it.

The problem you will have with tanalised carcassing timber, is that it shrinks quite a lot(it is basically pallet wood) and can warp if left in the sun. You would need to leave it properly stacked out of direct sun to allow it to dry out on both sides for six months before using it, or you will end up with 3-4mm gaps between the planks. 

The point I would make is not to overlook ground level support at, or close to, the non-hinged end or the door.

I feel this considerably reduces the strain on the door itself, but also on the hinges and door frame when the door is fully open. I'm not so concerned about such support while the door is in transit, although that is the ideal. In the past I effected such support by use of a heavy duty 'industrial' castor wheel. Hard plastic wheel, steel support with ball bearings, and single threaded stem, about 19 / 20mm in diameter.

Also think about how much snow you get, as with side hinged doors the complete ground area swept by the doors has to be cleared before the doors can be opened.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Well given my neighbour built a 32x14ft timber barn door out of 6x1s I don't think you're going to have a weight issue if it's just a "normal" vehicular door. His was mounted on a steel railway girder but that's simply the construction of the barn.

He's a bloody good carpenter though.