Common fastener sizes on a Puma? (nuts, torx...allen?)

I know virtually every nut and bolt on Series LRs, but the Puma is still new to me. I'm making up a basic 'get me out of trouble' toolkit - its a nice little evening project but I'm going far, far too far with it too, the shadow foam has even been ordered for the Peli case to store it all - so committing to its contents now.

Could anyone suggest a list of the common fastener sizes used so that I can include some combination spanners, sockets and torx bits in the kit? If there's any allen fittings (haven't found any yet) then let me know.

Its only going in a very small tool case, so this isn't for everything, basically just for quick fixes/tightening jobs when touring in Europe and with space constraints (and the price of diesel) I don't want to be carrying anything unnecessary. For anything more than an hours work I'd call the AA. I've got all the basic tools, repair bits, etc already picked out of the spares pile - they're the same as I carry in my Series IIAs - its just the Puma-specific socket size and torx bits I'm not sure about.

I'm guessing:

• 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 16mm, 17mm and 19mm spanners and socket. All sockets would be 6 point, except for the 13mm which would be 12 point for the caliper bolts.
  • A 9/16 spanner and a propshaft socket tool to match.
  • 27mm socket and breaker for wheel nuts
  • My 52mm hub nut socket.
  • Torx bits? I haven't got a clue - they're still newfangled to me, can anyone suggest the common ones to carry? The only ones I've used so far have been on the dash but I'll have to check the size.
  • Not sure if the above will cover bleed valves and drain plugs, I need to nip outside when its dark to check them.

Appreciate any input, thank you.

Edited by twodoorgaz

A Puma is similar to any other model, the Traction Control & ABS is a little different in the drivetrain area but other than a few torx bolts on the engine ( injector clamp bolts), interior,  TC/ABS ring bolts, unfortunately I don’t know the sizes other than ‘ that fits ‘.

You’ve covered the basics, 12 point socket for the calliper and stub hub bolts (14mm I think ) and maybe a spare set of crush washers to get you out of a pickle with the hub bearings, or swap the single nut set up for an earlier td5 version with twin locking nut and do away with the crush washer.

32mm for the vicious fan with a home made tool ( Google it! ), or use an adjustable spanner and a rubber mallet…

Oil filter socket is 27mm, same as your wheel nuts, drain plugs are 1/2 drive and the filler in the gearbox is a hex ( not torx ), I believe it’s 8mm…The transfer box is a pain to refill, but a b&q garden pump spray bottle with a short hose on it…it’s revolutionary!

The fuel lines are a pain being the push fit type which fill with carp and thus are impossible to release even with the correct tool. This will become evident when you least want it to so I’d advise to always carry some spare push fit units but be aware there are 2 sizes on the fuel lines.

I’m working away so I’m a bit fuzzy with the niggly  bits you will find out/need to know but when I get home I’ll update this with anything I remember.

Drain plugs on the axles are just 1/2" square drive assuming they're the same as earlier stuff. 

I personally don't bother with the 9/16th for the prop bolts.... 14mm is a touch smaller and usually a much better fit on them. 

For the Torx bits, I'd grab yourself one of the little Bahco 1/4" drive sets. Sockets for smaller stuff up to 13mm, ratchet handle and then a selection of screwdriver and torx bits with a handle.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I personally don't bother with the 9/16th for the prop bolts.... 14mm is a touch smaller and usually a much better fit on them. 

Agreed, I use a 14mm ring, and a 9/16 open, the ring stays on nice and tight, the 9/16 gets on the other side easier/more reliably.

Thanks very much all.

I think I'm sorted now, have taken on your comments and have been pouring through the parts catalogue - pulled a kit together from my spares only having to buy one thing and don't think I've missed anything obvious. Please feel free to shout if you notice any.

Combination spanners:

·        Metric: 8mm / 10mm / 11mm (brakes) / 12mm / 13mm / 14mm / 15mm / 17mm / 19mm

·        Imp: 9/16"

Adjustable spanner:

·         8" long adjustable

Sockets:

·         ¼” and 3/8" ratchet handles with extensions

·         1/2” drive extending wheel brace

·         ¼” drive kit in box with various Torx and allen bits and 4-13mm sockets

·         3/8” driven sockets matching the spanners: 8/10/11/12/13/14/15/17/19mm

·         3/8" driven 8mm fixed male allen socket for Gearbox plugs

·         Special: 3/8” driven 9/16” special prop shaft tool/socket

·         Special: 3/8" driven 1/2" square drain plug driver for axle filler/drain (happen to have one of these and it saves me carrying a random 1/2" dr adaptor or from having to use the wheelbrace)

·         Special: 52mm hub nut socket. The one thing I haven't got so just ordering this now. (while I'll use this at home, but on the road this is less for me to use, given the torque on the Puma hubs, and more for me to be able to loan to a local garage if I got stuck somewhere).

·         ½” driven 27mm socket

Not yet sorted:

·         (I might also look into make a viscous fan adaptor too)

Edited by twodoorgaz
  • Like 1