300tdi fuel pump timing

Following discovery of a throttle spindle fuel leak, I decided to get the pump overhauled at Diesel Bob's. I asked what the timing was set to and they said it was set by machine, weren't sure without looking it up. I have had it back for a couple of weeks and thought I would get round to fitting it. I am changing the timing belt at the same time, so as the pump was just bolted to the timing case and very accessible and the injector pipes were off I thought I'd look at the timing with a dial gauge. So I set up a dial gauge in the back of the pump. I have 2 timing pins, but was using initially a Chinese one. When I fitted the pin I realised there was a degree of slop, so took a reading first with the pump drive as far ACW (anticlockwise) as it would go, ie in it's natural position, then tried applying a bit of CW(clockwise pressure) to remove any slop between the pin and the pump drive boss with a ring spanner on the pump spindle nut. So that produced readings of lift of 1.22mm (ACW) to 1.47mm(CW). I also have a Bergen pin which is a much tighter fit; corresponding figures are 1.33mm (ACW), 1.40mm(CW, which is the official setting in the manual with EGR) So I checked the pin diameters, the Chinese one was 9.22mm, the Bergen one 9.46mm.

There is quite a variation, the pin fit obviously can make a significant difference to the timing. Whether that matters hugely is of course debatable. But generally folk seem to think some advance can improve the running, so not having what you expect might matter. Incidentally I tried inserting a used 9mm drill bit; that produced figures of 1.18mm(ACW) and 1.58mm(CW), and a new 23/64 bit was virtually the same.

A 9.5mm drill shank fit to, that what I ised to use on my 200tdi FIP but I bougjt s proper timing kit a couple of years ago & recently the dti gauge kit, haven't used that yet, got another 8000 before the timing belt is due. 

58 minutes ago, EeEk said:

Set it to 1.6 with your dial gauge :)

Hi EeEk, 

Do you care to explain why 1,6 and not 1,4 (edc) or 1,54 (org. Data) or a third lift? 

I have tried 1,6 and it works perfectly fine, but what is the more general "why to"? 🙂

I do however agree, dont use the hole, just use the dialog, ot will always be better/more precise! 

/mads