Welding practice

white90

thanks Nige

yes I tried blowing a hole in the tube first that pic I didn't post as it looked carp and was carp but gave me the settings to try welding.

all the welds were pushed rather than pulled and as Jez advised Humming was present the entire time :)

Today I made a eyelet to store the winch hook on for the cage

bent it around some tube (supplied by Tangoman along with the idea) after heating it with a blow lamp(suprisingly easy once hot enough)

then welded it to the screen bar. it will save digging the winch hook out on the bumper in future.

Seriously impressed

really well done - you've been a busy guy, the brown "soot" is voltage related but only a slight adjustment needed, the brown slag would indicate a little more hygene needed but in terms of progress Im staggered :i-m_so_happy:

as Nige has said the tube weld is gun position a bit on the wonk - if you cant hit it all the way round break the weld down into achievable runs, remember to do a "mock" run before you hit the trigger :)

next up vertical welds :)

Cheers Jez

I'll keep

practice going and try vertical

I have some already but fear posting pics as they are on a plate added to the rollcage mounting as the original builder left the bulkhead out rigger a bit light of support IMHO

so I added some plates I could PM you a pic then the welding police won't set upon me so easily

leaps and bounds Tony, nothing wrong with those welds, now practise upside down welding ;)

if i remember to bring me camera into work i'll take a picture of a mig weld which is done here, u'll see there isn't much difference to what you have produced in your pics

Tony - got the pic thanks, longer arc length, back off the settings - but in just the same way as horizontal; plan it, practice it, do it again and again and again.

When you next lay down another bead horizontally - try and start to listen to whats going on, sound will arm you with more toys to play with in terms of diagnosing settings and picking up problems with the welder (you only have to stop humming for a few seconds to listen ;) )

before you run out to start vertical welding go and get a tub of tip-dip or anti spatter spray, its not essential but it will help, what is a good move though is buying a leather sheet/smock/apron and a monks hood, especially if you plan on kids at some stage :)

Another tip

Jon White has for many years taken the P**s out of me in that when I weld I have my steel cap boots laces undone.

Last weekend I saw my revenge.

He was welding (with his boot on and tightly laced up)

Lump of weld splatter landed on boot - it burnt through, and he dropped the torch doing the "yek Agrh Ooow me foots burning - must get me boot off " Dance :lol:

Got the klaces undone superquick, but then the hot bit of metal moved (wonderfull thing gravity) and he found it when he put his foot back down on the floor (between leaping about) as it then burnt the sole of his foot :hysterical:

Thats why I weld with boot laces undone.

Buy (as you have done) quality helmet, and gloves,

the rest of the welders clothing is not available to buy, but you will own it soon.

Socks with burn holes in,

T shirts that ook like moths have had a party in it,

along with the "Body Art" of burns everywhere,

and the odd finger with no finger print cos the metal you picked up was 'hoter' than you thought ...and it stuck to you skin,

boots with burn marks on them,

jeans with more holes,

and a fetching red patch on you arms where the tshirt ended and the gloves begin

once you have mastered the above you will have reached the next level :D

Nige

:lol: bang on Nige

riggers solve a lot of probs but the dreaded "down side of rigger" death blow blimp is one to look forward to, as well as the "sonic boom earhole" blimp (accompanied by hair burning sounds for full style points)

dunno if you are old enough to remember the TV series Kung Fu but lifting a Shaolin barbeque with your forearms would be great practice - pain passes, flesh heals but great welds remain ;)

05.jpg

Looking good Tony. You're certainly getting the hang of it now :) Now turn up the volts and the wire speed and do it more quickly :)

The time has come to get some thinner material and to learn about setting your welder up to deal with different thicknesses of material ( and how to fill up the holes you've blown ;) )

Bravo !

Mo

Tony

First class :i-m_so_happy: …………… its practice and experience that will keep you to that level.

Filling holes is useful in other ways ………. When fabbing, if you drill a hole slightly out…….. instead of filing it to bodge …………. Just fill the hole with a good weld and grind the plate flat ;) ………. Then drill it is the bl00dy right place !

Another skill will be plug welding ………… drill some holes in a piece of 1.5mm and then weld it to another piece just by filling the holes …….. much like spot welding…. but very strong

Ian