Door courtesy light setup from scratch

I'm in need of a bit of help, I've an early oneten that didn't come with any of the door opening triggers, and has a 3 position switch that activates the rooflight and doesn't appear to light the dash.

I would believe that the 3rd position would allow the light to be controlled by the trigger 

Today ive fitted the triggers and some wires,  I understand the triggers need to be wired in parallel.

Took the switch out and had a look at the rear, was a bit lost. Any help would be very appreciated.

FYi,I'm totally useless with diagrams😟

Initially I was thinking to make a complete circuit with the triggers and hopefully activate the lights via relay, but I've now read that the screw on the trigger earths it, with much faff I've managed to put a cable / terminal to the back of the trigger to make a full circuit etc..

IMG_20230115_150858761.jpg

IMG_20230115_150903957.jpg

My courtesy light wiring was also a right mess and they were not reliable.  I've replaced it completely with the circuit below.  I now have a light above each front seat, one in the centre above the rear seat and a fourth just inside the rear door.  One of the most unreliable aspects of the original system was that the door switches earth through the mounting which are subject to raging corrosion.  I have installed dedicated earth wires from each switch to local earth busbars which are connected to the battery negative.  The three courtesy lights normally have their local switches set to "ON with Dash or Door switch", but can also be operated with the local switch.  Please ignore the numbers by wires.  I don't have the luxury of colour coded wires so I affix numbers instead.

Hope this helps.

Mike

image.png.55ed44ce76629d922f84df0b80596aa6.png

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, very nice, flexible too.

My only comment would be about the ground, I wouldn't have bothered with the whole busbar/gnd thing, and just found a nice clean bolt somewhere to fit stuff too, much more locally to the switch. Saves a lot of wiring as well as cash on the busbar.

• Like 1

If it's not too late you might like to add some footwell led strips. They are as cheap as chips and could parallel-up with your overhead lights but you obviously need a +12V feed down there. I have just added them to my vehicle.

IMG_8911.thumb.jpeg.e1f194ddd7f9301716e88b4d51fd2bdb.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 2:47 AM, Peaklander said:

If it's not too late you might like to add some footwell led strips. They are as cheap as chips and could parallel-up with your overhead lights but you obviously need a +12V feed down there. I have just added them to my vehicle.

IMG_8911.thumb.jpeg.e1f194ddd7f9301716e88b4d51fd2bdb.jpeg

Thank you, L19Mud and Bowie69, for confirming my design is OK.  Regarding the earths, I'm taking serious steps to avoid future earth problems.  I'm doing a total rewire and every electrical fitting has an earth wire back to a busbar.  From memory, the only exceptions are the Low Oil Pressure switch and the engine coolant sender which both earth through the body/mounting bolts.

I like this floor illuminating idea.  I'm just installing two LED strips under the bonnet and will install the same for the footwells.  I'll have to think about the wiring and activation of these.

Mike

As you have two independent lamps, one above each front seat, you could have the footwell lights connected with their respective overhead light. You can wire them directly in parallel with the overhead lamp so that they are controlled in exactly the same way.

To do that, from your diagram you would bring 819.5 to each led strip. Then a cable for each strip from a suitable point at the connection between the lamp and the switch common. The led strip won't load the circuit much.

Edit it's about 100mA for each strip. Here's a pic of the ones I bought.

IMG_9064.thumb.jpeg.d347ff3df8379b658c69435309b6c9b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you, Peaklander, I like your proposal.  I think that that is the way to do it.  I'll put a switch in each power supply line. 

Today I've spent sorting the wiring for some dash mounted utility outlets, power and USB, and the under-bonnet lights.  Both sets now work😊.