whats the next step from CB?

freeagent

And where does string and tin cans come in all that? Slightly above PMR446?

Yes , you have it just about right.

The reason why RF spectrum has to be closely controlled in the UK, is that we are a very small country with a large (ish) population, unlike the USA, where if you were to use VHF in New York, its not going to cause grief to another user in Alaska………….. but we are in a slightly different position, not only do we get mutual (CoChannel) interference between , say, Bristol & Birmingham ……… we also need to be careful that our coastal sites do not interfere with mainland EU services (and they really are a bunch of moaning whining b******s!) :rolleyes: …….. the same apples to our Southern Irish cousins. You wouldn’t believe the measures we have to implement to keep ITV terrestrial Ch5 within our costal boundaries.

Any thing that is not particularly regulated and free in this environment will be (generally speaking) carp , as RF spectrum in the UK is almost a scared as the bible

Ian

To get good acoustics from your CB...why not get one of the remote speakers? Most CB's have a socket to accept a speaker.

All forms of mobile comms apart from cellphones are banned in the Middle East....so when out in the desert we use Icom, Kenwood and Motorola VHF hand helds and a few in-cars rigs.

Even the tiddly little PMR's are banned here, so if I'm going to get nabbed I might as well get done for using summat proper! I have a 55watt Kenwood in the Discovery and an Icom 50 watt unit in the 130.

We don't put the antennas up untill we go off road though....don't want to be too obvious.

One of the local big knobs here was recently fined 10,000 pounds for not having a licenced set!

A purely hypothetical situation.....

Say if one was to buy some 5W FRS/GMRS radios off ebay not realising that they are some what different to PMR's ;)

And say if you where using them in the uk (completely oblivous to them being illegal :rolleyes: ) what is the likelyhood of their use coming to the authorities attention and what sort of retrubition should one expect if it should happen?

Depends where you use them on getting caught.

If you are caught the penalties are Draconian.

They confiscate the sets, if in a car they can take any radio equipment including stereo, blips etc.

They can then come to your house and remove anything that uses a radio frequency, tv, radio, remotes etc.

I say they can, but if you read the relevant website I think it is they will.

I have a license and use radio at motor sports events so don'y worry too much as I know the rules and try hard to stick to them.

A purely hypothetical situation.....

Say if one was to buy some 5W FRS/GMRS radios off ebay not realising that they are some what different to PMR's ;)

And say if you where using them in the uk (completely oblivous to them being illegal :rolleyes: ) what is the likelyhood of their use coming to the authorities attention and what sort of retrubition should one expect if it should happen?

Easy answer,

Firstly most if not all PMR handhelds in the UK will not tune EAXCTLY to the eight PMR446 channels because the channel spacing is different, so you end up being 5Khz off frequency …………… this also negates your ability to speak with legitimate users other than at close range. The fact that they are off channel makes it obvious and therefore easy to detect ………… although you can confuse the issue by implementing CTCSS, or DCS, or even 5/6 tone calling

The penalty in the UK is a 1949 section 5 wireless telegraphy offence. Forfeit of the equipment a max fine of 2K and up to 5 years slammer ……….. realistically it is forfeit and a fine of £50 - £100. This is a criminal offence and not a civil offence.

Jez currently has my 5watt VM400 Yeasu handhelds [where is the innocent whistling smily]…………. I must get them back sometime.

Edited to add ………….. nothing can be taken from you without a court order or a search warrant, even then the activity of the investigating officer is limited to that which is pertinent to the offence.

Ian

They had more resources in 1978

...as I found to my cost :rolleyes:

In 78 that part of the Home Office (as it was then) was run by the Post Office Radio Investigation Service, it went back into government in 84 (when BT became privatised) and was part of the Department of Trade & Industry, I think then it became an executive agency (Radio Regulatory Agency), and in more recent times has become part of Ofcom. I see that the RA (Radio Agency) tag has been dropped.

Yes resources are less now than they were then ( I still keep in contact with my old colleagues) ……….. but even in 78 resources were thin, so I guess you were plain unlucky or may have bee noticed for other reasons (like RF interference unknown to you) :rolleyes:

I don’t work in that area now as I decided that private industry paid substantially better than the civil service ……… but sometime I wish I was still there …… the CS is one of the few places that you can do sweet FA all day and get paid for it.

Sorry MOG, but we could well have met in the past :unsure: …………. I guessing here AM CB …….. there was a huge crackdown between 76 & 81 (when FM CB became a legal entity)………….

:D

Ian