Headers

I've heard from a co-worker that headers don't have the same heat dissipation and that they will actually increase temp in the eng. compartment, so any inrease in pwr isn't worth the trade-off (since we're in the desert) and that I would be better off to stay with stock manifold and just put the over-size exhaust on.

Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this.

There have been some threads regarding increasing the airflow in the e-bay and over-heating issues for people. Up until the tear-down started I had no o/h problems with the dual fan install and bonnet vents in hi 40's heat working the engine fairly hard. Don't really want any after the truck is done!

Cheers

Hi MadCanuck,

Never tried to 'tune' my V8 (not yet anyhow) but from what I know of motorcycles, headers are a very important part of an exhaust system and merely slapping on a big-bore back-end is no match for the complete system. One look at the stock headers will tell you that they are designed to please the accountants not the engineers - they are crude, heavy and are definitely not built with performance in mind.

A decent set of headers will give smoother flow, possibly some degree of length-tuning and will be a lot lighter. On the down-side, they will (apparently) pass more heat into the engine bay. You could try insulating them - there are lots of opinions both ways but IMHO it's best for power if the exhaust gas stays hotter down the pipe (formula one teams insulate their headers). There is an interesting thread on header insulation here.

Oh and of course tubular header just look so-o-o-o much better when you lift the bonnet (sorry - the "hood") ;)

Any pics of the truck/rebuld?

Cheers

Rog

We have a Disco with a GM 6.2 in it which has tubular headers. The headers are ceramic coated and run very cool. The party trick is to stop the engine and grab the pipe without burning yourself. So it does work. The engine used to be in a RR with the same sort of headers and they ran very hot.

The ceramic coating is available in all colours and these look fantastic in silver.

Thanks for the info guys,

Jim,

I like this theory,

The party trick is to stop the engine and grab the pipe without burning yourself.
I can think of few buddies who could be talked into testing over a few beers :lol:

Any ideas where I can find the ceramic coated headers, are they avail in SA? I've checked the obvious suppliers websites in the uk without a lot of luck.

My preference is to change out the complete exhaust to headers and stainless 2.5" pipes. Is it worth it? The engine was rebuilt less than 3000km ago (before i bought it), new crank, pistons/rings, valves, holley 4bl carb with edlebrock intake. The previous owner couldn't find headers here, so he just left it as is.

Rog,

let's see if this works

post-1967-1169916797_thumb.jpgpost-1967-1169917010_thumb.jpg

Looks like it worked, the rack took 4 guys to lift it off, anyone in the UAE want it? I'm doing a new one in aluminum with a removable aft section. The interior is gutted, the tubs and box are coming off next weekend, i'm going to strip the frame, cold zinc spray it, black epoxy paint and something similar to waxoyl, the re-assemble all the bits, new interior, dash, headliner, rock sliders, etc. Was just given a set of LR bull bars (need re-painting) Wouild also like to add newer style doors too.

Ciao,

Tracy

Check with the local registration place in Abu Dhabi before fitting tubular headers to your truck. In Dubai they are banned....is your's registered there?

Ajman doesn't have the same problems with car tuning accessories so I fitted a set of 52mm stainless extractor manifolds to my 4.6Efi Defender. They've also been wrapped with an anti heat lagging.

We found that wrapping mild steel headers made them brittle....summat to do with too much carbon blah blah...Ians pipes literaly fell apart after 20,000 km's.....it was quite bizzare to see them fall apart in front of out eyes as we removed the lagging.

Ceramic coating is the way of the gods....but I've yet to find a place in the UAE that can do it.

Headers design is to improve the flow of gases coming from the exhaust ports....yes they have a larger surface area by design than cast iron manifolds and will therefore emmit more heat into the engine bay. For that same reason I have lagged them to retain the heat untill it's further back down the pipes. I've also gone to extra lengths to allow hot air to escape from the the engine bay....I copied a set of vents from the Saluki 110 and also fitted larger wingtop vents to increase/speed up the airflow through the engine bay.

I haven't had any problem with heat....my aluminium radiator makes alot of difference to the running temperature though and I am very happy with it.

AAA in Dubai can supply mild steel and stainless exhausts, as can FOX exhausts in Dubai. Not cheap though, my system was close to 4000Dhs and thats only the headers, the 'Y' peice and the first three feet of pipe! To do my entire 130 would have cost close to 6000Dhs.....1000 pounds!

Put the roofrack up for sales on ME4x4.org Theres a chap on there called Neil from Al Ain. He's got a 110 same as yours and is defo looking for a roofrack. His Defender is quite an old one and isn't worth spending much on...so I'm sure he'd be chuffed with that one.

Regards.

S.

Thanks for the info Streaky,

Very helpful, i will definitely talk to the rego folks. and stay away from the mild steel. I'm surprised regarding the ceramic coating, I thought anything can be had in Dubai :lol: , When I'm done with fabricating the new rack, I'll get rid of the old one, v-cheap. When I was reading about team Saluki, I noticed the side vents, great idea, they look good too! (Guess they'll need a HUD-Heads up Display for next year!)

Thanks for the info Streaky,

Very helpful, i will definitely talk to the rego folks. and stay away from the mild steel. I'm surprised regarding the ceramic coating, I thought anything can be had in Dubai :lol: , When I'm done with fabricating the new rack, I'll get rid of the old one, v-cheap. When I was reading about team Saluki, I noticed the side vents, great idea, they look good too! (Guess they'll need a HUD-Heads up Display for next year!)

Hi Tracey.

I spoke to Neil in Al Ain. He is very interested in your roofrack to fit his aging 110. Can you call him on 0506403896. I know you don't have a replacement one yet but it pays to touch base.

Will the new roof rack be aliminium or steel again?

Looking at the rack/landing strip you have...it's just a lot of angle iron welded together and is in defo need of a lick of paint! Whats with the weird back end of the 110? Looks like it used to be a 110 and was then jinglied into being a crewcab?

We do a fair bit of camping up this way and up into the Northern Emirates, Oman etc. Camping on the beach in Dibba is very popular at this time of year and you're welcome to join us. (we have Molson!)

Cheers for the offer Jim, if you have an email address for them then would certainly get a quote. Do they quote by weight or surface area?

Side vents can be made at home from 1mm aluminium sheet and a bedroom door-frame bender! Very effective.

HUD' for the Luki'...hmmm talk to Mark about that. There's plans to break the sound barrier in next years Challenge if he can sell the 110.

Don't forget to call Neil.

Regards.

S.

Hi Streaky,

The new rack is definitely going to be aluminum, with the steel the Cof G was way to high, and, it took 4 guys to lift the freakin' thing off, it was home-made by the previous owner up in Saudi. I will call Neil (and two more friends to help put it on!)

quote]Whats with the weird back end of the 110? Looks like it used to be a 110 and was then jinglied into being a crewcab?

The vehicle was made into a dbl cab up in Saudi as well, the 1st owner was a sheikh up there and bought the plans to modify :D (chop) the cab. The back end is actually a box done in chequer plate with storage lockers on the sides. The cage was welded on to keep everything in and lashed down while going through the dunes. I think they realized how top heavy it was and just slept up there. It will be re-worked to have quick release sides.

We do a fair bit of camping up this way and up into the Northern Emirates, Oman etc. Camping on the beach in Dibba is very popular at this time of year and you're welcome to join us. (we have Molson!)
Mmmmm Molson good, might have to bring hockey sticks with me :lol:

I would love to come up camping, however, my goal is to get this carnage back together soon!

HUD' for the Luki'...hmmm talk to Mark about that. There's plans to break the sound barrier in next years Challenge if he can sell the 110.

They should talk to LandymanLuke, I'm sure he could design something in a touch screen vertically mounted!

Jim, thanks for the info, I will check into getting something soon!

Ciao,

Tracy

If you're on carbs going EFi will free up ~30bhp. Jez has a nice set of Janspeed headers for sale at the moment, sure he will post ;)

Thanks FF,

I'm running a Holly 4 brl carb, definitely has more go than the dual carb set up. Thanks for the tip on the headers, i was hoping to get stainless with a ceramic coating!

Ciao,

T

Hey Neil,

Was going to call you today have your number from Streaky.

Is your veh a dbl cab, it was designed specifically for one using 2 rear ladders to support it. Will take some photos and post tonight. Next time you come down this way drop by and take a look if you want.

Cheers,

T