Discovery I 200tdi auto??

BrianMay

Howdy

Been looking at converting a Series III 200tdi to auto, I've "heard" there was an option (USA??) of automatic gearbox n the Disco1, but can't seem to find any relevant info anywhere, starting by the gearbox itself...is it a ZF like on the Disco 300tdi and V8? What could be a good donnor for this?

Cheers,

Yes, it is a ZF HP22, however there is a different engine backplate for the 200TDI auto compared to manual, and the concensus is you need everything that a disco had to make it work.

There's kickdown linkage to think about as well.

200TDI autos are about in the UK, however really, really rare and even more so now given hownold they are.

They are deadly slow too, but don't let any of this put you off 😛

21 hours ago, Snagger said:

David, did you get the message I sent you some time ago about a friend in the US being interested in buying that whole transmission from you? 

Hi Nick, no I don't believe I did, although my memory is getting poor

On 3/6/2023 at 10:38 AM, BrianMay said:

Tanks for the reply!!

So....if I had a 200tdi manual and wanted to make it auto, buying a ZF from Ashcroft by itself wouldn't cut the deal, right?

No. Will need quite a few other things. My brother in law has a complete Disco 300Tdi auto that he will break if anyone wants an engine and gearbox.

Only thing missing is the power steering pump.

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

No. Will need quite a few other things. My brother in law has a complete Disco 300Tdi auto that he will break if anyone wants an engine and gearbox.

Only thing missing is the power steering pump.

Doesn’t have good condition aircon pipes, does it?