Clutch line quandry

Troll Hunter

Having a hybrid, in terms of a 1991 CSW with an original 3.5 V8 with, I believe, a L77s gearbox, and now having the same vehicle with a 300TDi and a R380 gearbox, I have major questions about the clutch piping system.

1. Will the original master cylinder supply sufficient fluid volume to actuate the 300TDi/R380 slave cylinder?

2. Is the ID and thread of the master cylinder the same for both clutch master cylinders?

3. What are the threads and IDs of the L77s slave cylinder and the 300TDi/R380 slave cylinder, since they are not the same?

Also, my existing clutch line includes a section of coiled semi-rigid line, presumably to absorb vibration. Is this include in Item 16, p 480 of my 1997 parts manual?

Any help on these questions will be very much appreciated, and many thanks in advance to any and all who can provide answers.

Mike

The system on my ibex is TD master, TD5 slave and 200tdi disco clutch.

Watch the thread size on the input of the slave certainly the 200 disco slave is an odd thread (especially if you remove the damper) and there is at least one other that takes a hard line rather than a flexy but I can't remember which.

Bore size will just change the amount of travel to a point.

Mike

Pretty sure the master cylinders did not change in terms of size for most of the Defender run. The 1991 master cylinder will work a 300Tdi slave no bother.

The pipework is 1/4” and there is a funny adaptor thing in the master cylinder to take the small thread in it up to the larger size for the pipe. There should be a flexible hose in the system, usually from a bracket on the bulkhead over to the gearbox/slave.

I've got a Series master, a LOF R380 slave, and braided TFE hose all the way from one to the other (-6 size if memory serves, it's a size up from brake line size anyway), works fine.

The other truck has a standard 1988 master (LT85? LT77?) with what I assume is an R380 slave and stock pipework as far as I know, also works absolutely fine.

Many thanks for your replies and info.  The engine change was done, by others, and I have no idea if the slave cylinder was changed or not.  Since the system is in pieces I might as well renew the slave with the correct one.  Please can someone give me the appropriate part number?  Many thanks.

Mike