Steering column UJ makes - opinions please

I finally took my Defender for a decent run. A 440 mile round trip to South Wales and in the main it seemed to perform OK. I worked out the mpg for the trip down, which was about 29mpg so quite happy with that, though speeds around 55 as mainly on A roads. However one aspect that would make for a more pleasant experience would be tighter steering. I will try to do an assessment as to parts that may be worn, but I was looking at some posts which recommend looking at the UJs on the column but am very cautious about Britpart! I have seen Britpart, All makes, Bearmach, OEM and genuine. The first three are between £10-15, OEM about £58 and genuine around £90+. As the vehicle is only limited use I will be reluctant to go high end unless the other ones are of poor quality. So with that in mind, which of those three is the better option or are they around the sane quality?

Edited by western
Huge white space removed

I've had one fail in under a year, the replacement is allmakes so we'll see how that lasts. I normally buy bearmach but obviously that's no longer an option so I'm not sure what the one in there was, but I did buy a pile of random parts a while ago so it may of been from that. However I've also had a panhard bolt wear, I thought it was the bush but that's fine. The bolt though has quite a step in it. This is what lead me to find the UJ.

Mike

Worth dribbling a bit of oil on them from time to time when fitted, otherwise they can go a bit stiff. Obviously not enough to make the steering box feel it has to compete....

• Like 1