Is it the Diff?

Simon_CSK

Following my thread about the gearbox on my 4.4 Petrol L322 I have now jacked the car up and listened to the transfer box and the gearbox with the car in drive.

The front propshaft is turning without any load on the engine and there is a distinct banging even at low speed. I use a screw driver as a stethoscope and listened to the transfer box, the gearbox and the bellhousing and all sounded normal, i.e. there is no bangs. 

Given that the front prop is turning in line with the engine I suspect the front diff is US. Is my assumption correct?

The next question is are all diffs on all L322's the same or can I use one from a Range Rover Sport 3.6 TDV8 which I have lying around funnily enough.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Could be a smashed CV? 

Good guess. This is what I found when I went out after the rain had stopped..  

I am more than happy to find it being so simple. Will have it fixed very shortly.

20230430_172632[1].jpg

• Like 3

Not sure what I'm looking at, not familiar with these modern vehicles. Is it a bit like a Freelander with the diff mounted to the monocoque?

12 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Not sure what I'm looking at, not familiar with these modern vehicles. Is it a bit like a Freelander with the diff mounted to the monocoque?

Front diff is bolted to left side of the engine with the right side drive shaft going through a hole in the sump

11 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Front diff is bolted to left side of the engine with the right side drive shaft going through a hole in the sump

The front diff on the L322 is a separate unit like the defenders and series but without the half shafts. Drive shafts go out to the hubs. My photo is the connection between the diff and the NS driveshaft. the DS is at an angle the only way that could happen is if the bearing in the diff has collapsed and in this case probably taken out the crown wheel with it.

• Sad 1