Winches 8274s in particular...

muddy

I think i'm right in saying that no other winch apart from some of the uber expensive ones share the same mounting pattern? Are they a decent winch even in standard form? I have just bought a 'challenge truck' to rebuild into a trials/off road toy and am pondering what to do with the front 8274 cradle and rear D44 crossmember.  Are they worth the premium they command?

They are good winches however I've never been able to justify the extra they command. Their main benefit is speed and potential for bigger drum. So if your just dragging yourself and others out on greenlanes and playdays just about any winch will do, I've had an EP9 and now an X9 both very good winches. Whereas if your doing competition an 8274 is a good start but you'll likely disappear down the upgrade hole.

Mike

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

<shallow comment> They do look cool though don’t they ! </shallow comment>

Whilst looking eminently nickable. 

They are 'only' 8000lb out of the box, which may influence depending on weight of vehicle and usage. 

You could always adjust the current setup with welder and grinder to suit the much better value lowline winches, shouldn't take too long. 

Thanks chaps, I think I'll mod the rear to take a low line and ponder over the front. I have seen a couple of ready to run 8274s with rope on for £800-1000 which when compared to buying a 'good' lowline and then time, effort and money altering brackets closes the gap somewhat.

i had one and didn't think it was anything special ,that said my use for a winch often inc's pulling tree's over lowering etc so i prefer a worm gear winch which whilst is slow it doesn't rely on brake blocks
i'm at present thinking of not fitting my h14 hydraulic and putting my old electric winch on which is a pierce wrecking winch

17 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

@muddy the standard 8274 boltpattern is the same pattern as low line winches, i do have a comeup lowline with there wide drum conversion which makes it the same bolt pattern as a +3" width 8274

Thanks, I will bare that in mind. im guessing you just mount the low line feet first agains the face on the 8274 winch tray. 

The D44 rear crossmember has an offset slot for the rope so im just mocking up a husky I have to fit in there. more thank likely turn into  a massive job but easier now than when the tubs on.