Injection Pump Timing

HI Folks,

Finished fitting a new timing belt to our Defender 110 300 Tdi

Since the EGR has been removed, got me thinking about the exact timing of the FIP.

WSM states as below.

Injection timing............................................................... 1,54 mm lift at T.D.C.
Injection timing with electronic EGR ............................ 1,40 mm lift at T.D.C.

Does this mean that since the EGR has been removed, timing should now be adjusted to 1.54mm or not? Or is the pump different to non-EGR and should be left at 1.40mm

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Simon...

I'd say no. The 300 without the EGR had no ECU so everything was set mechanically. Yours does have an ecu so it should compensate to some degree.
Basically, if it runs well with no smoke, don't play with the pump :)

2 hours ago, Phill B said:

I'd say no. The 300 without the EGR had no ECU so everything was set mechanically. Yours does have an ecu so it should compensate to some degree.
Basically, if it runs well with no smoke, don't play with the pump :)

The ECU on a Defender 300tdi is just to control the EGR gubbins, it doesn't modify timing - and can be binned if egr is deleted. Discovery 300tdi autos with EDC had an engine ecu which did change timing though.  

I'm in the same situation, and have had the same debate with myself. My engine doesn't have EGR, but the pump was built for an engine with EGR. I have timed it to the EGR setting, but I'm tempted to advance it. It runs very smoothly and quietly, but it seems just a tad 'flat' - though it's been years since I had a standard 300tdi to compare it to.  The car isn't on the road yet though, so any playing will wait until it's registered and on the road.

(The 2.8TGV is a very similar engine mechanically, and without EGR from the factory, but the specified pump lift is 1.44mm. Not sure that adds anything, I just include it for interest.)

The guy who rebuilt my pump said keep it at 1.4, but I don't think I agree.