50th anniversary V8 specs

Howdy,

Do you know where I can find the specs for the NAS V8 50th anniversary, mainly acceleration and top speed? Where these somehow modified for California (lowered performance due to emission restrictions) or is it just because of the auto gearbox that people say they are slooooow?

Cheers,

10 hours ago, BrianMay said:

Howdy,

Do you know where I can find the specs for the NAS V8 50th anniversary, mainly acceleration and top speed? Where these somehow modified for California (lowered performance due to emission restrictions) or is it just because of the auto gearbox that people say they are slooooow?

Cheers,

Not sure on the specs, but I know a chap who’s put I think 4.1 diffs in and it’s transformed it. 

4 minutes ago, BrianMay said:

4.12? transformed it to better or worse? :D I was wondering if the 140km/h top speed and the lack of acceleration was a mechanical issue or NAS (California) related...

Transformed in the sense of improvement, much more get up and go. The top speed is likely to be limited by the fact you're pushing a brick through the air :lol:.

1 hour ago, BrianMay said:

4.12? transformed it to better or worse? :D I was wondering if the 140km/h top speed and the lack of acceleration was a mechanical issue or NAS (California) related...

Doubt you'll find any specs easily for a CA spec vehicle. Might be worth contacting Land Rover N. America direct and asking if there were any changes.

As for performance, the NAS and 50th models used the 3.9 EFI RV8 with 182bhp (UK spec) and the same ZF 4 speed auto as found in Range Rover classics and Disco 1's. The 90 weighs less than either of those, so with the same final drive (3.54:1 diffs as standard) and same gearbox/engine, it would likely out perform both the Disco or RRC. Of course it would be very easy to tweak such a vehicle for more performance these days.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I believe the 50ths also got the 1.2 transferbox, so that combined with defender rather than disco sized tyres knocks the acceleration back. 

This is correct. They were fitted with rather tall gearing of the 1.2 transfer box to reduce RPM (help economy) at cruising speed. The result was rather lackluster acceleration with the auto box.

Many V8 50th owners changed to the usual Defender 1.4:1 ratio to recoup some lost performance.

My own experience of a V8 auto 90 with 31" tyres and the 1.2 TRF box was horrible as it would rarely lock up in top gear. You needed to be doing around 55mph IIRC. Long motorway hills were a constant battle with the gearing. 1.4 ratio is so much better in all conditions.