Trip fuse

Suspect 50A won't be nearly enough I'm afraid... Depending on what equipment you have fitted. 

Heated rear window can be 20-30A by itself, headlamps 10A, heater 10A, ecu/engine 10A...

And that's just off the top of my head, there will be a lot more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Suspect 50A won't be nearly enough I'm afraid... Depending on what equipment you have fitted. 

Heated rear window can be 20-30A by itself, headlamps 10A, heater 10A, ecu/engine 10A...

And that's just off the top of my head, there will be a lot more. 

I’ve just got standard lights no heated rear window, we’ll not one that works anyway 😂no electric seats ect it’s a td5 loom in a c reg 110 

46 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd start by wanting to know what the battery to fuse box wire is rated to, otherwise 200A may just allow it all to catch fire happily while not blowing. 

^^^This.
Fuses are to protect the wiring, so need to be rated to suit. The fuse has to blow before the wiring becomes a mini arc welder, or simply melts and catches fire.

The battery in my car uses a cable capable of 800 Amps, but uses a 300amp fuse (It has the starter motor load on it)

Be aware, that cheap fuses are carp - there is a You Tube video testing them - I just take used ones from breaker cars. This isn't the video I was looking for, but same outcome:

Ok so it’s a bad idea? 

this wire is ignition only as have main feed to starter 

The battery in my car uses a cable capable of 800 Amps, but uses a 300amp fuse (It has the starter motor load on it)

please don’t worry about stuff off eBay 

my car has never caught fire 

britpart parts have never fallen apart 

I’m still here after 20 years of eBay buying 😂😂

Edited by Green200tdi

The point is there's no point having a 200A fuse on a cable that will already be on fire at 100A.

Also I've heard those switch-breaker things can be quite badly made - honestly I would only be buying fuses/breakers from legit sources (made by the likes of Littelfuse or Bussman or Tyco) or scrap cars, anything cheap from ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress/etc. is as likely to start a fire as it is to save you from one.

This might be the video @AlWorms was thinking of, it shows the issue quite clearly:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The point is there's no point having a 200A fuse on a cable that will already be on fire at 100A.

Also I've heard those switch-breaker things can be quite badly made - honestly I would only be buying fuses/breakers from legit sources (made by the likes of Littelfuse or Bussman or Tyco) or scrap cars, anything cheap from ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress/etc. is as likely to start a fire as it is to save you from one.

This might be the video @AlWorms was thinking of, it shows the issue quite clearly:

These are what I call Christmas present from the mother in law or sister in law go stright in bin same day like screw drivers 😂

• Haha 2