4x4 Gear Query

Hi all,

I recently got a 2010 90 TDCi from the UK and I wanted to clarify something;

When shifting on this specific 4x4 gear from the 'neutral'/'middle' position, in order to shift to high for on-road driving, should I shift down-right, or right-down?

Or does it not make a difference?

I wanted to check to avoid any unnecessary damages or cause something uncomfortable in the vehicle..

This is my very first Rover and I'm very new to this stuff, so if anyone could help me out, i'd appreciate it immensly.

(Pic attached for perusal)

20230908_193858.jpg

The H-L function and the Difflock(transfer box difflock) are separate even though on the same lever.

In low DL to high no DL the shift can be one movement (allowing for road speed and de-clutching) and vice versa, keep an eye on the DL light on the dash to confirm unlock or lock

Welcome to the forum , and Defender living

Steve

I think that the OP is asking how to select high (not difflock) for driving on the road. From neutral does he pull the knob right and down, or down and then right or just down as seems to be indicated in diagram on the dash.

Edited by Hawklord

It doesn't matter how you shift it, as long as you end up down & right. Just be gentle and don't force anything, sometimes you need to let the clutch out just a bit (with the main gearbox in gear) the get a positive engagement on the transfer case.

• Like 1