Lift pump questions

Geojake

I’m changing my lift pump on a disco 200tdi engine. 

The old one has a bent arm. Does this mean that I need to have a spacer for the new one, to prevent this from happening? When trial fitting, it doesn’t sit flush on the block.

Photos below.

Cheers

IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9227.jpeg

2 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

The spacer routine going around is a Fad imho, you'll alwas see an improvement when your fitting one with a new pump. to fit yours, rotate the engine so the cam lobe operating the pump is out the way.

Thanks for that @vulcan bomber, it went in. Although didn’t solve the running issues! 🙈🙈 the diagnosis continues…

Mike says on his recent BritRest videos that he spent a lot of time trying to find out which pumps should have spacers and which not, and trying different combinations.  He found the best result was to use no spacer but three gaskets to get the best positioning of the pump.  He reckons the spacer is too thick, but that most pumps have too long an arm and that they are overstressed when fitted with one gasket.

15 hours ago, Snagger said:

Mike says on his recent BritRest videos that he spent a lot of time trying to find out which pumps should have spacers and which not, and trying different combinations.  He found the best result was to use no spacer but three gaskets to get the best positioning of the pump.  He reckons the spacer is too thick, but that most pumps have too long an arm and that they are overstressed when fitted with one gasket.

Sounds like it needs a thinner spacer - three gaskets sounds like a bodge to me.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Sounds like it needs a thinner spacer - three gaskets sounds like a bodge to me.

It does - I can see them tearing or compressing and leaking, perhaps even allowing enough movement to shear the bolts.  A thinner shim would be the ideal, or maybe the cam operating arm could be bent a little more to put less pressure on it?

Yeah I saw Mike’s video. He says 2.6mm or something, whereas the spacer is 4 or 5mm so too much. Mine is on without any (also I bought a Delphi not a Blue box so doesn’t come with) as I have the spacer already built into the block as above. Let’s see how long it lasts, if it goes in 6 months then I know why!

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

My spacer is nearer to 10mm and definitely required as two pumps failed before I realised it was missing, not had a problem since. Not sure if there's one built into my block or not.

Mike

Did you make this yourself or buy it Mike? 

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm not familiar with how thick the spacer is, would likely be the work of moments to throw one in a mill or lathe and skim a bit off unless it's difficult to hold / too flimsy.

Its not readily lathable, just wants laser cutting from the corect thickness material

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Its not readily lathable, just wants laser cutting from the corect thickness material

That would be the best solution.  If you or Ed Parrot could knock out some batches, I’m sure they’d sell - Mike and most likely Charlie Emberton and Richard of Glencoyne Engineering would probably buy a batch.