Slickshift problem - anyone with one offer me advice?

I got a Slickshift for the LT77, and a new turret & spring. It arrived with the spring facing the rear of the van rather than the front. This means the spring has had to be forced (with signifcant effort, as it has to be made wider to get past the alloy turret casting) to face forwards. This is the same way as it is shown in Syncro/Slickshift's pictures online.

The spring CANNOT go forward as supplied ie 'over the top/clockwise' as this will result in no spring force being exerted downwards. It has to go 'under'/anti-clockwise in order to work.

What this *appears* to have done is made the spring 'wider' ie the two legs now dont point inwards and wont stay put on the turret/bias bolts, and ping off. The amount of effort required to get the springs anywhere near their seating location is mad, involving a wrecking bar and two screwdrivers, with force enough to dent the sides of the transmission tunnel.

Despite an hour of greasy wrestling (I'd put plenty of grease on it) I am no further forwards.

Or was I supposed to remove the spring and re-orientate to face forwards? (which seems odd to supply in wrong position).

Anyone shed any light on this? 

(PS have just emailed syncro, the maker/vendor to ask their advice but no reply yet as it was 3pm or so and they might be busy, but the van is now dead and I need to get it rolling again!

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 14.50.05.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Edited by Jocklandjohn

i don't get it why people install funny stuf to a LT77 , it's never going to be as slick as a japanese gearbox , with all these "upgrade's " you only put more stress on the synchro part's (simply because your loosing the "feel" to what the box is doing ...}

but everyone needs to do what they like ...

here is a video how to get the legs on :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

i don't get it why people install funny stuf to a LT77 , it's never going to be as slick as a japanese gearbox , with all these "upgrade's " you only put more stress on the synchro part's (simply because your loosing the "feel" to what the box is doing ...}

here is a video how to get the legs on :

Well thats a thing I wish I'd seen before I started buggering about! Thanks for the pointer to it - I wish they'd made that video easier to find.

I shall return to the fray tomorrow.....

19 hours ago, hurbie said:

🙂 - I needed to replace the turret as the slots were worn and the gearchange pretty sloppy, which wasn't being helped by the tired bias spring, both of which items have probably seen 200,000 miles of use. So I figured that whilst in there and taking it apart I'd see if the slickshift shaft really did make a major improvement to the whole shifting experience as some have claimed. I did read a couple of not-so glowing comments but thought I'd give it a go.

If I dont like it, it'll be in the For Sale section soon!

• Like 1

I’ve read good things about them, on this forum. I don’t know if some positives were for LT77 as well as the R380. I will probably try one but not until I have fixed my driver-take-up-clunk, as that requires me to shift slowly.