Defender 2.5 petrol won't start

Hello,

My defender 2.5 petrol won't turn over, the igntion doesn't give any response.

Battery is good, won't even jump start with another vehicle.

Dit I short circuit it? Or fuses maybe? 

Please let me know what you all think?

Kind regards,

Lucas

First, welcome to the forum

Is the starter motor solenoid clicking, you could try giving the starter a knock when trying as the solenoid may be stuck, also you can short across the terminals with a screwdriver to see if it engages that way, check wire to solenoid from ignition it should be giving power with key in start position, if not you may have a broken wire, dodgy connection or blown fuse. You could also remove starter motor  and bench test, plenty of you tube videos to show how

regards Stephen

Is there power to anything with the ignition on?

The system is very simple:

Battery -> Ignition switch -> Starter solenoid

So that's 3 places you can check for a good solid 12v, and also check your earth connections / earth straps. The starter solenoid is on a white wire with a red stripe.

If the car has power but the starter does nothing it could be the switch or the solenoid, if the starter clicks but doesn't turn it could be the solenoid or the starter motor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

First, welcome to the forum

Is the starter motor solenoid clicking, you could try giving the starter a knock when trying as the solenoid may be stuck, also you can short across the terminals with a screwdriver to see if it engages that way, check wire to solenoid from ignition it should be giving power with key in start position, if not you may have a broken wire, dodgy connection or blown fuse. You could also remove starter motor  and bench test, plenty of you tube videos to show how

regards Stephen

Was clicking this morning before I went to work but now absolute no life.

Yesterday was still working fine, which fuse could this be? I had defenders 300tdi and td5 from 1999 but these fuses are older types and can't make anything of it.

If it was clicking then it could be the starter. Make sure it's out of gear and spark a known live to the terminal on the starter with the white/red wire. If it turns over then it could be the switch on the back of the steering lock assembly. If not, then the starter motor is the likely culprit.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Steve