Chassis parts

Hello all, has anyone had anything to do with a firm called GDI products, they advertise on ebay for any amount of chassis bits and bobs and other odds and sods aswell, just wondering if they are any good and the product is what they are saying it is, all the best

I've bought GDI chassis parts on ebay.

I did a lot of research on parts as I'd done some chassis work for friends and they'd supplied the parts, mostly from Britpart, and as usual the quality varied from great parts, to utter rubbish. I didn't want to play that game.

So settled on parts from GDI and have to say I'm pretty happy with what I've had from them.

No experience with them sorry, but just a general experience, the trailing arm mounts I got were only partially welded where as the factory ones are fully welded. 

They are made from two overlapping formed plates. Where the inner laps inside the outer they are seam welded. The AM version I got only had 3-4 sections about 20-30mm welded. I cleaned them up and welded them out before installing.

Point being take a close look at what the factory has done and try to replicate that if it isn’t.

• Like 1

Nice one gents, bit of a minefield out there chassis and related parts, I emailed the fella at GDI and seemed reasonable with his response and only to keen to help, BUT he is selling his wares so it isn't going to tell me they are pony, I appreciate the feedback, good to know, thanks all

12 hours ago, uninformed said:

No experience with them sorry, but just a general experience, the trailing arm mounts I got were only partially welded where as the factory ones are fully welded. 

They are made from two overlapping formed plates. Where the inner laps inside the outer they are seam welded. The AM version I got only had 3-4 sections about 20-30mm welded. I cleaned them up and welded them out before installing.

Point being take a close look at what the factory has done and try to replicate that if it isn’t.

This is really good advice in my opinion, although LR could have done a few things better, generally the way the chassis brackets are profiled is a good way to follow.

A side note - I had the chance to look at MAER chassis up close at the last LRO show and they've "re-designed" pretty much every bracket and chassis fitting, a few things they'd done had a few alarm bells ringing for me because they'd deviated quite a lot from the original design, maybe with good intentions in mind (mud clearance etc.), but to me it didn't look like they'd gone in the right direction.

I've just had a look at the Maer chassis site, are they only made in Poland? Not that it's an issue but any come backs is going to be a problem, or is there a place here you can go and see?

I'm not down the line of a chassis yet, I'm counting my lucky stars with that, and I'm well aware it's coming sometime. 

This GDI guy sounds good with a few peoples approval on here and other opinions too, so many to choose from which is nice I suppose