Rear quarter panels

uninformed

Hi all 👋🏼,

who sells the best Series rear quarter panels? 

Im building a custom rear pic up tub for my 110. It will have a tailgate. I have some Defender style panels but they don’t have the little fold up the tailgate seal like the Series do (among a couple other things) They are 2mm thick verses the original Series 1.5mm which is nice. Hopefully some of the AM Series versions are?

Cheers, Serg 

IMG_0259.thumb.jpeg.4b0ff5e8a9e9ad4ebc86530342909841.jpeg

That lip on the Series seal flange is only to better guide the earlier riveted blade seals and needs to be cut off if using better Defender seals.  I’d think the only significant difference between the panels would be the lamp hole positions.  Having that extra .5mm would be welcome, as you say, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

The series rear quarter panels have one major difference - a series tub has lower wheel boxes by about an inch compared to a defender so the rear post that is attached to the rear quarter panel is different between an series and a defender panel.

That is a difference on the wheel box, though, not the rear panel, surely?  They are just spot welded to the flange of the wheel box at whatever height that is.  The joint was lower on the Series vehicles than the Defenders to allow for the lower rear (tail and brake) light - when that moved to the top and the indicator was moved to the bottom corner on the 110, the lamps were no longer in line with the main level of the wheel box and so they deleted the step near the back end and had the spot welded flange that little bit higher.  I can’t see why that would affect the new panel at all.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

That is a difference on the wheel box, though, not the rear panel, surely?  They are just spot welded to the flange of the wheel box at whatever height that is.  The joint was lower on the Series vehicles than the Defenders to allow for the lower rear (tail and brake) light - when that moved to the top and the indicator was moved to the bottom corner on the 110, the lamps were no longer in line with the main level of the wheel box and so they deleted the step near the back end and had the spot welded flange that little bit higher.  I can’t see why that would affect the new panel at all.

But they did not delete the step near the back on coil sprung LRs, not 110s anyway. Hurbie posted some pics in my other thread in the Defender section. No idea why LR did not delete that step? Probably a case of tooling etc but just silly not to. 

Even less of an issue then.  I noticed that 109 SWs had a curve over the wheel and then a flat section all the way to the rear panel, while 109 utilities had the higher flat section all the way until the last few inches and that step down.  I think 110 SW had a flat box at the same level as the utilities.  I suspect they kept the step for tooling as you said, including the tooling for the internal wiring cover plate.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:49 PM, Snagger said:

As stated above, the rear post is different. 

4AFB2760-7825-4B3B-A6DA-B557AA6F8996.thumb.jpeg.40e185a5c7cdfe7b86e8a7e68c0fe82a.jpeg