P38 DHSE damper mystery ?

Blanco

So, finally getting my P38 back together after huge delays waiting for a new Ashcroft hp22/24 transmission to come via a slightly circuitous route, ... 3 months in now!

Never thinking it would take this long and also because I am fairly familiar, I didn't photograph anything, just tore it all out ready for the new box.

I have been putting it all back steadily and for some time puzzling over one bolt I couldn't remember it's purpose. When I get to the bottom of a box to recover the old handbrake shoes (from which I needed the lever assembly) there was also the damper. Mystery bolt purpose now resolved. 

Because I had just put the new front prop it was now a pain to reach up from underneath, so I thought to go and look up exactly how it fitted before deciding to attempt it from above or below.

And heres the thing .... I cannot find anywhere, in the manual or the parts book, (or on Google come to that) any mention of a vibration/harmonic damper fitted to the bell housing. I have a parts vehicle here which is earlier than mine (99 vs 01) and it doesn't have one. 

I have also realised while trying to find this one that my front diff doesn't have one, some references suggest that only V8's have them, but as I am now on my second front prop in 4 years, I begin to wonder if it could use one.

So just interested, anyone else got a D auto with a damper fitted to the bell housing? (or know where to find it in the book?), and does anyone have a damper on the front diff?

Bell Hsg damper.jpg

According to https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/9.55819.56283.60723/brand/land-rover/ it was only fitted to the front axle on automatics but on all rear axles.
I have a standard manual DSE in the Shop at the moment, I'll take a look to verify. I always thought they were fitted to all axles, regardless of engine/gearbox, and when it wasn't there I just assumed it had been removed by a previous owner or mechanic.

Seems there are 2 dampers, the one on the diffs everyone knows about (and that is not present on the front axle of either of the manual diesels I have in the Shop) and that was discussed in the posts above. And then the one on the autobox. I have seen those, come to think of it, but only rarely. I'll have another look tomorrow at the DSE auto driveline in the storage. 😉