300tdi Auto Conversion

Bob Faulkner

Yes it should be quite possible. You'll have to decide on a few things, like engine location/gearbox location and maybe some custom propshafts. I believe the downpipe can be more of an issue on a 109, although I'm sure there are kits/solutions these days. And you'll probably need to decide what you are doing with the steering.

Ultimately a 300Tdi auto is a bit of a slug, although you can chip/remap the EDC injection pumps these days. For me though having had a 200Tdi 88. It went well and I did a lot of miles in it, but it was way too unrefined and I wouldn't go down that route again. If you aren't doing big milages I think a Rover V8 is the way to go or maybe even a T-Series 2.0 petrol. And arguably an engine swap and an auto gearbox in a 109, you have to question if you'd just be better off investing in a 110. As you are removing quite a lot of the character of a Series vehicle.

Nothing wrong with a 300Tdi, but i wouldnt fit an autobox behind one. I had a factory 300Tdi Auto Range Rover, which was awful as a result of the auto box. Drank fuel, and when you put your foot down it would kick down, make a **** load more noise but wouldnt actually go any faster. I’d go manual every time. I’ve a 200Tdi in my series with an Lt77 and Lt230 behind it.

• 1 month later...

If you’re ok with the noise level of a 300 and aren’t after V8 performance then it could be a good solid conversion especially if you have all the bits there.

Fitting the auto box to the chassis requires a bit of work but other than that it should be fairly straightforward.

I opted to convert my front axle to CVs to retain the permanent 4WD but others have just kept it standard.