D2, TD5 - starting problem, fuel pump?

boaterboy

My vehicle has always started immediately.

Until, the other day when it took several seconds (approx 30) / tries (approx 4) on the key to start following which it ran perfectly.

This morning I turned the ignition key, left it for a few seconds before starting and it started perfectly.

I have been told that somewhere in the fuel line is a valve which can fail allowing fuel to backflow into the tank and drain the system thereby meaning it takes time for the system to refill.

Is this correct, please?

If so, please could somebody give me the best way forward?

Can the valve be replaced?

Does it mean a new pump?

Can I rely on the vehicle starting after leaving the ignition switched on for a few seconds? I understand it's an electric fuel pump which may be ok even if the valve has failed?

I am grateful for any help given.

Yes there is a none return valve in the fuel filter housing. Rear outer if I remember, but please check. Does it start after doing the purge cycle? If so I suspect its the injector copper washers. Plenty of info if you search.

Griff

• Like 1

You already did (part of) the purge cycle, by leaving the ignition on a bit longer. That means the pump is running and likely to bleed any air in the system.

The none return valve is easy to check, but my bet is on the injector washers as well.

The pumps rarely fail and if the rest of the system is in good nick, a TD5 will start even without the electric pump (provided it's not clogged). Not at full power, but enough to get you home.

Thank you for your input, as well, Escape.

Is any harm going to come to the engine should I use the car with faulty injector washers?

I cannot do the job myself and it could be sometime until I can get someone to do the job for me.

Pumps fail for a pastime if the filters are not changed regularly. But they fail slowly, getting louder and louder. As they fail, they fail to raise enough pressure for the compression cam - hence the pressure regulator. They must have 4bar minimum to start. I would check this before the washers 

13 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

They must have 4bar minimum to start.

I have to disagree. I've had several TD5 start just fine without the electric fuel pump. Easily demonstrated by pulling the fuel pump fuse (which is how I found out, I had removed the fuse and forgot to put it back and still my TD5 started!). The only time it didn't work, was when a pump had failed and blocked the flow.
You are of course right that the injectors need 4 bar to work as intended, but they'll cope with lower or no pressure, just not able to deliver full power.

Disagreement is fine. I've lost count of the number of pumps I've changed on TD5's (mainly due to poor filter maintenance) and they are a recognised fail point on the engine. If you pull the fuse and let the pump drain out it won't start