Front Shunter Tow Hitch

madmatt

evening folks,

I am in desperate need of a front shunter tow bar that will bolt to the middle of my winch bumper, now there is a certain firm that sells these based in the English capital that has a strange obsesion with painting coil springs orange!!, However not being one of this firms biggest fans, I wondered if any of you good people knew of another supplier of these??

I need one by the middle of next week so has anybody one got any ideas or do I have to bite the bullet and ring you know who??

Matt

why not bolt the jaw/ball on one end in line with the main chassis rails and just bolted through the bumper with a plate on each side, if it is just for shunting stuff around? Bristows used to move helicopters around like that when they were here and I guess an S-61 weighs a bit more than a rover :)

I think the general feeling if you are shunting something is that its easier to have the "shunt point" right in front of the driver (i.e. offset to the right rather than on the vehicle centreline) so that you can immediately see if things are starting to go astray. Never done it myself though, just heard or read that somewhere.

why not bolt the jaw/ball on one end in line with the main chassis rails and just bolted through the bumper with a plate on each side, if it is just for shunting stuff around? Bristows used to move helicopters around like that when they were here and I guess an S-61 weighs a bit more than a rover :)

I think the general feeling if you are shunting something is that its easier to have the "shunt point" right in front of the driver (i.e. offset to the right rather than on the vehicle centreline) so that you can immediately see if things are starting to go astray. Never done it myself though, just heard or read that somewhere.

I wanted the hitch in the middle for two reasons the first being so I can hitch the trailer to the front of the rover and push it down the side of a building, being off set I wouldn't get LR through gap. The second is I want to be able to pass the winch cable through hole in headboard of trailer to winch vehicles on save using the old hand winch!! Otherwise I would, but thanks for the input.

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and make that call.

Matt

I reckon you could make one to fit your bumper to your own design & it'll probably be cheaper too, having just looked at the subject page, it looks very easy to make, some flat plate [suspect 6 or 8mm would be fine] & 2inch or 50mm square tube.

Front-Shunter-2s.jpg

Speak to Discoparts http://www.discoparts.com/asp/index.asp they do the reciever hitches & his fabrication is top quality.

I'll try and contact Discoparts tomorrow although I'm up against it time scale wise, Ralph, Making would be an option but araldite ain't to good at holding 6mmm steel together and my welding is even worse!!!

Thanks

Matt

:hysterical: no local agri engineer near you, who could weld on a suitable adaptor plate ?

Hi.

Have a look at the Bearmach removable front tow hitch, part number BA3107.

It simply slips over the front bumper and is secured by tightening two wing nut bolts.

Cheers,

Bob.

Matt i made one for our 130 from a piece of c section, a bit of angle some box and flat plate, it slips in to the squarw holes under out chassis lege and is secured with linch pins or similer. Will get you some pics.

Will,

Thanks for pics and PM, food for thought.

Ralph, yep got a local Agri engineer, just don't let him hear you suggesting anything else, he already has a list of jobs from me longer than the phone book!!!! Might try some where else today.

Bob, Looked at Bearmach, its about 80 quid and it wont sit on the centre line of a defender winch bumper.

So its off to speak to the local engineer this am,

Thanks for everyones input

Matt

Just post some pics of the finished result :D

Will do Ralph, It took a hell of a lot of arm twisting last night to get it done this week, (just hope he can still weld!!!) It wont be as shiney as an orange version but should do the job!!

Matt