300tdi alternator

I had a look at this again and I was able to unwind enough wire from the blue plastic thing to make it back into the crimped terminal as it was. It appears to have worked out well getting 14.18 on the battery.  Thanks for the posts guys.

14.18 at the battery is fine, there will be voltage drop between the alternator and battery so you won't see the full 14.5V

Other cars have a straight 14V regulator, and charge fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am getting the red battery light flickering at low revs going out as revs go up and staying off at higher revs. The ammeter in the dash will drop slightly but no battery light when I put a load on ie blower motor, demist rear screen and wipers I was wondering how a rectifier or regulator fault would show up? Regards Mark.

If the light comes on at engine start, goes out when the revs climb, and stays out when the revs fall again, then that's (sort of) normal and I wouldn't worry too much.

Rectifier faults can show in various ways but often a dim warning light that stays on all the time. I wouldn't expect it to change with revs, though that otherwise sounds the most likely fault if you had a broken winding you've now fixed.

Regulator/brush pack faults often intermittent red light or red light only at high revs, ok at idle (sticking/warn brushes)

If it's just started showing the issue, but nothing has changed, then worth investigating. If it's always done it, or you changed the alt  and the new one does it, but the old one didn't, it's probably fine.

If this is the one you soldered, then presumably you are happy the brushes and slip rings cleaned up ok? (The sliprings look a tad rough in the pics, but that might just be a trick of the camera)

• Like 1