TD Engine problems

Hello folks, I'm new to this board so I'll start with an engine problem.

This morning I found a big puddle of oil on the road underneath the air filter. If I remove the filler cap with the engine running it looks like a steam engine.

Is this likely to be a complete overhaul and rebuild or can I fix the problem with some replacement parts?

And to add to that my MOTs next Monday :rolleyes:

Hello folks, I'm new to this board so I'll start with an engine problem.

This morning I found a big puddle of oil on the road underneath the air filter. If I remove the filler cap with the engine running it looks like a steam engine.

Is this likely to be a complete overhaul and rebuild or can I fix the problem with some replacement parts?

And to add to that my MOTs next Monday :rolleyes:

I would guess that the mileage is over 100K so i would say its a head off job anyway, it could be a blowing head gasket(bore to pushrod way) if it came on suddenly, or another one is the pistons have cracked(common fault) or rings are on way out.

Sorry.

I would guess that the mileage is over 100K so i would say its a head off job anyway, it could be a blowing head gasket(bore to pushrod way) if it came on suddenly, or another one is the pistons have cracked(common fault) or rings are on way out.

Sorry.

If you are a good mechanic rebuild it yourself. Don't waste money sticking a TD in to a garage. Trust me, I speak from experience. :angry:

Counting down till tdi fanboys come in spouting their usual drivell....

So what would you do? :ph34r:

It is possible to pick up another TD unit for £300-600, but that will just be another time bomb. Then you need to fit it. To be honnest, if you aren't a good mechanic or know of one, then it is very expensive to own an older Land Rover... especially pre-tdi, and now early tdi's too. I know you get good ones, but there are many knackered ones now.

Another TD engine of the same age or earlier will be showing the same sort of problems after a short while, you can rebuild your existing engine, [or source a replacement TD engine from Turners or LEGS,] but it'll only go on for another 100,000 miles if your lucky & it'll cost about the same in parts/labout [your time] & most likely machining costs to do a good job as it would to source a 200Tdi & retro-fit it to your truck, I know which way I would jump & did 12 years ago & haven't looked back at TD's since.

Its around the 175k mark and to be honest in the 6 years I've had it, its never missed a beat.

I dont know if I'm up to the task of taking the head off at the side of the street or not. I bit of research is needed whatever I do.

A 200tdi does sound good, but then again I've got to find a nice 200tdi.

Thanks folks

You may find it cheaper to replace the lot with another TD, they are cheap right now as everyone is upgrading to TDIs - I couldnt sell mine for 100quid, and now its just lives in the field waiting to get weighed it - its yours or anyone else for its scrap value :)

I'm sure there a few others on here with a spare TD kicking about - I wouldnt pay over a 100notes though if I were you

HTH

Lewis ;)

Yep i've a TD kicking about due to upgrading! if you can afford it then a 200 is obviously the way to go IMHO but if you can get another TD and the just rag that until it does the same for not a lot of money then y not do that.

BTW lewis did you get that header tank?

Cheers, Will.