LED side & indicators with non-LED trailer. Problem!

Fitted new side and indicator LED units, appropriate relay etc (B.O.B supplied RDX stuff so not the cheaper no-brand ebay) and it is all working as expected.

Plugged in my cycle rack with integral lighting board (non-LED) which worked fine before, but now triggers all the indicators to flash at the same time on the 110.

I have no idea where to start, apart from the obvious convert cycle rack to LED bulbs, but is there something else more obvious I should be looking at? Earths? Relays?

Sorry for the multiple posts - when I first tried to post it the server responded with a 'Community Unavailable Try Again Shortly'  message - which I did obviously three times! Sorry for that, not sure how to delete perhaps a moderator can do so for me.

Thanks for guidance, I wondered about earths but spent ages fixing them previously (with the non-LED side lights/indicators)  to get the trailer board working when I wired up the trailer connection and discovered all kinds of weirdness. Got that sorted so assumed my earths are ok. Maybe not!

Yes there's a wee knob on the relay - wasn't sure if that was a potential solution but I can give it a go and see what transpires.

First I'd try the knob on the relay. I fitted resistors and a standard relay on the ibex partly to try and eliminate trailer problems. But it does sound like the problem is with the trailer board or socket. Do you have another light board/trailer you can plug in.

Mike

• Like 1

The RDX web site used to have instructions for the relay, but essentially the knob determines the point at which the trailer indicator on the dash flashes. If both sides of the board are flashing,as ever, it points to dodgy earths as @Arjan says. Presumably all works ok withput the board, therefore the problem has to lie either on the board or the towing plug socket or its connection to the main harness. If it is a 7 pin plug there is probably tarnishing on the plug and socket pins.

Is it only the indicators on the 110 that all flash together?

Earlier defenders that only have a single tell tale light that flashes for both directions need diodes fitting to the dash tell tale wiring.  That bulb is wired so that it has a feed from both direction indicators, when indicating right, the right hand indicator feed gives a positive feed to the dash tell tale bulb and it earths via the left hand indicators (1.2w dash bulb so earthing through 2x21w + 5w indicator bulbs doesn't cause them to light).

Does your Land Rover have side repeaters on the wings?  I have found that leaving them with the 5w bulb in and upgrading all the other lights negates the need to fit diodes.

Basically, what happens with LEDs is that they need a lot less current to light and the dash bulb earthing via the opposite side causes them to come on.  To test the theory, just pop the 2 screws out the warning light panel and remove the indicator tell tale bulb, see if the problem goes away.

Cant really explain why it only does it with the trailer board connected, maybe the incandescent bulbs provide a better earth path?

• 3 weeks later...

Tried again today - the trailer board works ok ONLY when the the sidelights/headlights are off. If I switch the sidelights/headlights on it causes all the indicators to operate when I indicate left or right.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:03 AM, miketomcat said:

First I'd try the knob on the relay. I fitted resistors and a standard relay on the ibex partly to try and eliminate trailer problems. But it does sound like the problem is with the trailer board or socket. Do you have another light board/trailer you can plug in.

Mike

Thanks, I tried that and same issue irrespective of knob setting. The bike rack thats causing the issue works ok when plugged into another vehicle which suggests its ok and the 110 is the problem!

On 5/5/2024 at 10:27 AM, fmmv said:

The RDX web site used to have instructions for the relay, but essentially the knob determines the point at which the trailer indicator on the dash flashes. If both sides of the board are flashing,as ever, it points to dodgy earths as @Arjan says. Presumably all works ok withput the board, therefore the problem has to lie either on the board or the towing plug socket or its connection to the main harness. If it is a 7 pin plug there is probably tarnishing on the plug and socket pins.

I did resolve several issues when I fitted the LED running lights which were down to dodgy or disconnected earths in the rear loom on either side where the lights emerge. Entirely possible there's another one I missed.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:22 PM, dave88sw said:

Is it only the indicators on the 110 that all flash together?

Earlier defenders that only have a single tell tale light that flashes for both directions need diodes fitting to the dash tell tale wiring.  That bulb is wired so that it has a feed from both direction indicators, when indicating right, the right hand indicator feed gives a positive feed to the dash tell tale bulb and it earths via the left hand indicators (1.2w dash bulb so earthing through 2x21w + 5w indicator bulbs doesn't cause them to light).

Does your Land Rover have side repeaters on the wings?  I have found that leaving them with the 5w bulb in and upgrading all the other lights negates the need to fit diodes.

Basically, what happens with LEDs is that they need a lot less current to light and the dash bulb earthing via the opposite side causes them to come on.  To test the theory, just pop the 2 screws out the warning light panel and remove the indicator tell tale bulb, see if the problem goes away.

Cant really explain why it only does it with the trailer board connected, maybe the incandescent bulbs provide a better earth path?

Yes only indicators that flash. And yes I have side repeaters which I left as incandescent bulbs. I have not yet tried your suggestion of removing the dash bulb - I've been off in the wilds for a spell working out of the 110 and the rough tracks revealed a set of holes* in the floor I had to repair this week when I got back, and that job's done so back to lights now!

* 4 x M10 bolts for a lock and fold seat which were installed when my son was born 16 years ago so he could come with me in the 110,  and the seat bolts ate the alloy!  Coincidentally he had his 16th birthday this week and as I now have a 16 year old he was able to help me fix it!!  🙂

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 18.59.59.jpg