V8 clutch... something tells me this isn't right

Hi,

So today was supposed to be A Big Day. Mating the V8 and gearbox prior to fitting them.

But.

IMG_3442.thumb.jpg.f2703ed9965343f9372948cd4af967ed.jpg

This does not look like the clutch in the manual. Well, more specifically, that centre bearing doesn't.

I appreciate there's a clue written on it, but I was assured when I bought it (a fair while ago) that it would fit. It, um, doesn't.

I have removed that circlip and pulled out the middle but I can't see any way of removing it. 

Am I snookered here or is there something simple that I've missed? I hope the latter, suspect the former.

What box are you using?  I believe the p38 manuals used a concentric slave cylinder.  I don't think that clutch will work with anything other than a p38 gearbox/bellhousing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

What box are you using?  I believe the p38 manuals used a concentric slave cylinder.  I don't think that clutch will work with anything other than a p38 gearbox/bellhousing.

R380. And that suddenly makes a lot of sense. 

Annoying but not entirely unexpected - at least the clutch was basically free with a flywheel, so it's not cost me anything but time. 

18 hours ago, dave88sw said:

Only the diesels. But the V8s use a diaphragm thst gets pulled instead of pushed, which you have here.

As above, that clutch will only work with a P38 bellhousing and clutch fork, as it pulls instead of pushes. If you use a gearbox from an older model, you need the clutch to go with that. There's no way I see to adapt it to work.

The BMW diesel in the P38 uses the same method, just a bit smaller diameter. It's the BMW Freelander that has the hydraulic release bearing. 😉 

What they all said - I fell foul of this too having bought a P38 clutch only to discover none of it fits a non-P38 bellhousing... thankfully the answer is to fit a standard clutch setup complete, I would not even bother fitting a 2nd hand clutch anyway for the small cost of a new one it's not worth having to do the job twice.