Drum skimming...

Hello!

Would anyone be able to recommend a good drum brake skimmer please close to Leeds?

When I adjust the drums up to the recommended, adjust 'till lock then back off two clicks, the brakes spin freely for about 80% of their rotation and then bind. Backing off by another click results in almost, but not quite, wholly ineffectual brakes 😞

Unless someone can suggest another reason why - is it possible to mount the drums slightly off centre?

• 3 months later...

I have skimmed LR brake drums (and disc's) in the past but have to agree that the cost of new drums makes it a questionable process if you are paying for it.

Also just machining out a few grooves and taking the out edge lip off is one thing, if they aren't round any more it then it could indicate they are worse and best changed anyway, not really possible to assess with out actually looking at them.

On 8/25/2024 at 9:36 AM, sean f said:

I have skimmed LR brake drums (and disc's) in the past but have to agree that the cost of new drums makes it a questionable process if you are paying for it.

I own a lathe and I'm not sure I'd even bother trying to revive used drums Vs just throwing new ones on.

The Americans seem to commonly use brake lathes to skim drums and disks. I'd never heard of them until Lube Tube. I've machined discs on a regular lathe before - it's a right faff.

I'd agree with the others above that for the cost of them I'd buy new drums if you're having roundness problems.