New workshop project

Good grief, you moved again James! Sheds must be like a curse for you - you build a decent place then have to leave it behind. You need one on wheels.

And how did I miss this thread that's now a month old?

Well done on getting priorities straight. I know you're getting good at shed building now, and are our resident timber recycling expert.
I'm thoroughly envious of the headroom and floor space you have planned. I'd love to make my prefab double garage taller.
Having finished a 4.2 x 3m garden room a year or so back I am very aware of how material costs stack up when you do things properly. Looking forward to following your progress.
Using box profile cladding on the back wall will be a good option to satisfy the non-combustible requirement - plus it's quite a bit cheaper than larch cladding.

Edited by mickeyw
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is interesting to read about the screed and epoxy.  I thought the epoxy was probably a bit of an oversold luxury, but maybe I should consider it if I do a garage up in the future - I have some things I’d like to change on my garage if I keep the house in Bedford, and fitting a pit is under serious consideration, so having a more level floor without a few shrinkage cracks wouldn’t be too much of an extra.

I have been here before, though this time I’m pleased to say it is not as a result of a storm!

de004790-2d90-4b54-849e-abfda9bfb81d.thumb.jpeg.338f59857c672e2b1ca078e7850ad120.jpeg

There is a good amount of reusable timber in the frame of varying lengths which will be very useful come the time for building the new one :) 

• Like 1

One thing that will need sorting is this void under one end of the slab. It only goes in about 12” or so but will need filling with concrete before I start building upwards again. I think it’s from where the previous homeowner added the smaller slab.

image.thumb.jpg.43b06fb1909b374b7a1f37d4bc5dc40c.jpg

I’m thinking set up a form slightly offset and 4” or so lower so that I can make sure I fill the void as I pour it, and I avoid creating a level surface the same height as the slab. Any other thoughts welcome!

I don’t want a level surface as then water will sit on it and creep in under the wall. Stepping it down will stop that happening.

The personnel access door will be on that side and I will need to create a step there for access anyway 👍🏻