Small Land Rover

Mark

Mark, Sorry to be so long to get back to you, I asked our technical manager at work if he thought 3mm MDF should do the job. The answer was that according to our specs the minimum radius they would guarantee was about 100 mm but it will normally do a lot better than that. It would seem that your radius might well be too tight, to be honest, I had in mind the curve of a full size LR wing, & the pics of the Toylander made it look bigger than your measurements, I've obvoiusly underestimated that, not really thinking that your Toylander is about 1/4(?) scale & thus tighter still, so sorry if I've given your a bum steer. Even the 2.5mm we make might struggle at your figures & I guess every manufacturers product will have slightly different properties. As others have pointed out, wetting it will destroy its properties totally Wish I could suggest something to help,scoring & bending is probably going to leave a series of flats around the curve. One thing that may work to make it more flexible is to heat it a bit, the tech manger said that what you needed was some board straight out of the press. ( We run continuous presses that make 3mm at over 40metre/minute) It might be worth trying to heat it to about 100 C in the oven & see if that works, but the board moisture might drop too low & make it brittle still. Take care not to set it on fire ( it burns well & stinks like hell when it does :D ) Other than that I'm embarrassed to say you're on your own, such a lot of work in the beautifully crafted jig too. My rough sketch did not deserve such fine craftsmanship. :(

Cheers, Steve.

Steve,

No apologies needed! I'm really just trying stuff out! I might well have a go with some thinner material - they seemed to have thinner at the wood shop, so I will see what happens. I may also give it a go with ply on the inside, but as I said, I will go with the aluminium caps if the wood method dosn't work!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Mark

I have indeed thought about the strips idea, and to be honest, have not discounted it! The idea of using the MDF rather than the Aluminium was to maintain the same surface finish. MDF has a really nice sealed surface which takes paint very nicely. Sanding tends to remove the nice sealed finish, so the paint is absorbed more.

I have to admit that I don't much rate ikea furniture, and have been known to refinish items form them or say 'sod it' and make it myself... :rolleyes::unsure:

I will continue experimenting! :huh: Thanks to everyone for the input. B)

Mark

Mark the flexible MDF I was talking about already has grooves cut on the rear and bends easily and you wouldn't have needed going to all the effort of building that jig :blink:

As I said only a couple of quid for a small sheet in B&Q

• 2 weeks later...
Looks good Mark , I've always fancied having a go at one these myself - more chance of me building one of them than a real one :D

I've never understood why they use metal curves on the wings as they always seem to show up quite badly even on the 'show' models. I think I'd either put a wooden block in and shape it or perhaps use some of the flexible MDF .

I used the ally piece and filled with body filler. I don't know which 'show' models you have seen but the ones at Peterboro this year were the dogs whotsits. One bloke cruising round at Billing used scrap MDF edge on and all the joins showed like stripes. Solid would split too unless get the right wood. The bendy MDF needs soaking and then rubbing down once its dry and sets or you get ridges along it. It still needs filling too and then get any damp in it and you are back to doing it again.

When I built my fish pond a few years ago, I made a mould out of Plywood. As I wanted the corners to be rounded I made a former similar in type to the one in your picture and then used 4 layers of 3mm ply glued together. 3-ply bends a lot easier in one direction than the other as two of the layers will have the grain going in the same direction. The resulting mould held 3.5 cu meters of pre-mixed concrete (sides of the pond only). The entire pond held 3.500 gallons of water.

Pre-formed shapes made from layers of thin ply glued together are incredibly strong.

Les.

Looks like that mini Landrover is going to be a wonderful bit of kit,

It makes me want one even though I haven’t got any kids yet. :blink:

Interesting note on MDF, one of my friends is the man who invented it :huh:

And his name? Dick Van Dijk would you bellieve :D

Lara.

:D

'fraid progress has slowed a little, cos of other commimtments, but rest assured, I will update when some progress is made...

Thanks for the comments around ply vs mdf. I have fitted the aluminium ones for the moment, but he wood option is till open!

Hydraulic on the toylander??? :o:huh::blink: Got any advice on pedal powered pumps nige??

laters

Mark

• 3 months later...
Time to ressurect this........

Any progress??

Grem

Sadly not much progress at the moment. I was working under our carport, and the MDF dosn't like the damp much! I will resurect the thread when I start painting, which I hope won't be too far away!

Cheers for the interest!

Mark