Wanted - DC Motor / E.Mag theory expert!

simonr

I've had an interesting idea for the construction of a series wound DC motor (the kind of thing winches and electric vehicles use), which if it works could be totally revolutionary (pun intended). If I'm right, this would easily scale to large diameters for very high torque applications, be easy to cool and light weight.

The idea is kind of a hybrid of a pancake and a Thingap motor with a bit of lateral thinking applied, akin to PemRams - more than that I would prefer not to say.

Although I know a reasonable amount about motors & stuff - I don't know much about winding schemes, for example how much the rotor field phase should lead or lag the stator.

I was wandering if any of the forum members (or someone they know?) would give me a bit of consultancy to tell me if I'm about to tiddle on an electric fence! Even a good book recommendation might be enough.

I reckon the only way to be sure is to build it - but it will be expensive for a one-off and so I don't want to get it wrong!

TIA

Si

Since your not giving much away, suggest you Google series and shunt wound dc commutator motors. This will give you info a windings etc. Its all a balance between size, voltage power output, type of load its trying to drive etc. Motors nowadays are going more towards exotic magnets and electronic control, but for constant speed systems the ac squirrel cage motor can't be beat. On DC supplies electronic control is becoming more prevalent which allows you to go brushless.

Electronic control allows the use of linear motors to replace what would have been done previously by hydraulic or pneumatic rams...

My dear father does a lot of work with large gensets in his line of work (100kVA) which they're looking at the DC possibilities for intermediary battery storage so they can decouple the engine speed from the output frequency and run variable-speed. He may have some contacts who may consult - I'll ask tomorrow.

Thanks all.

I've read everything I can find on Google - and my degree is in electrical engineering so I did a bit on it there (it was a long time ago though!)

The phase lead or lag comment was more about making the phase relationship change as a coil moves past a magnet which can have the effect of reducing 'cogging'. This design cannot have many poles so cogging is an issue.

I've spent a lot of today drawing force & field vector diagrams (that I don't really understand) - but apart from one small snag, they look good in terms of torque produced per amp. The small snag is the commutator(s) required would be impossibly complicated to make. I have an idea that they could be simple - but the pieces have not fallen into place quite yet.

Si

There were some motor and emag gurus (as well as other fields) on the old Ansys Yahoo group. I haven't been active since they moved to xansys.org, but I am sure they will be there.

We use wrap around motors on large grinding mills. A minature version around a winch drum would be interesting.