Lpg Tanks

Jon W

I have a 2.5 Petrol Defender 90. I'm going to convert to Lpg, and would like to install the inside as do not want to smash or knock it off if it was underneath, like the PTO Richard smashed off. :angry:

So if you have pictures of where yours is installed and what size tank you are using that would be most useful. Also what sort of Mpg from Lpg do you get and what range does you tank give. I would like to keep maximum space in the rear tub due to the 4 dicky seats in the back.

Cheers

Jonathan

Formerly Norfolf_enchants

Hi Jonathon, I have a 110 2.5 petrol CSW and have a 90 litre tank in the loadspace behind the second row of seats. A 90 litre tank will only hold about 75 litres of gas because the shut off valve is designed to stop the tank from filling beyond approx 85% to allow for thermal expansion of the gas.

Unfortunately a 90 litre tank like mine, which fits between the seat/wheel boxes will mean that you will not have any room for two of your four seats in the rear.

Generally speaking if the system you fit is reasonably well suited to the vehicle and properly set up, you will get approximately up to 20% less mpg on gas than on petrol. If you get an average of 18mpg on petrol, you can expect to get about 14.5 mpg on gas. You may get slightly better, but this is a realistic figure to work to.

So, 75 litres is approx 16.5 gallons which at 14.5 mpg would give you approx 240 miles on a full tank.

Sorry, I don't have any photos. I suggest you look at the measurements of the various tank sizes posted on different lpg sites, and use a big sheet of card to mock up various tank sizes to see what you can get to fit.

Realistically it will be very hard to come up with a size which gives you a decent range without losing two seats. If you have to lose two seats, you might as well get a big tank for a decent range.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff

The NAS has a 80 litre tank on RHS wheel-box. I can usually get 65 litres when empty into tank. Because the NAS has internal roll cage this particular tank is slightly smaller than you could install in UK spec Defender. However, this tank does have the connections in a more concealed position than other tanks I have seen and is much better for that reason. Will attempt a picture if you are interested?

Cheers guys i will have a measure up and get dimensions of the tanks. I remember seeing your tank dave and thought it was bigger than that, but i suppose it is longer but has a smaller diameter.

I have been told about a 54 litre thank that should fit quite nicely but i am not sure if this is the full capacity or the size of the tank. Also i do not want too small a tank as i will always be filling it up.

Cheers

Jonathan

According to Chris Perfects web site, these are the common sizes of tanks that fit on the floor in the rear between the seat boxes:

60litre tank will hold 10.57 gallons of LPG and is 315mmx869mm

80litre tank will hold 14.1 gallons of LPG and is 360mmx892mm

90litre tank will hold 15.86 gallons of LPG and is 400mmx847mm

Note that the capacity listed in litres is the total theoretical liquid capacity. The capacity in gallons shown above is how much LPG the fill valve will let you fit in(space left automatically for expansion).

From these gallon figures you will be able to work out your range for each tank, provided you work on the basis that you will get approx 20% less mpg than you currently do on petrol.

Regards, Diff