Engine Conversion - Certification from Land Rover

backball

As indicated in earlier posts I'm considering a conversion to a V8 for my SIIa 88'. The local transport authority needs a formal certification from the manufacturer (i.e. Land Rover) that fitting this engine is ok and the rest of the rig is built for it. I would state a conversion to a stage 1 V8 as this is relatilvely mild at 90hp (compared to the 70 odd of the 2.2L petrol).

Has anyone done this before and if yes, how/where did you contact Land Rover? What cost are involved?

Also I heard before that you can request formal production data of your own rig if you supply engine no./chassis no. to Land Rover

cheers

where are you from? here, in Portugal, to (legally) change the motor, the same certification from LR is required by the transport authority. however, LR-Portugal only allows to fit to the (in my case) sIII the 2.25 Diesel, 2.25 Petrol or 2.6 6cyl Petrol

i wrote a letter to Land Rover UK Customer Relationship Centre but never received any reply. i'll make some phone calls to the local transport authority, to clear some questions about their requirements, and i'll try to contact LR UK again (the Administration and the Customer Relationship Centre, this time). the contacts are on LR's website

i won't be doing the engine conversion in a near future, so i have time to try to do it "by the book". but if all this fails... :ph34r:

When I needed proof of engine manufacture date for my SVA, I rang/ e-mailed/ wrote and they were as much use as a chocolate fire guard :angry:

Never answered any, bar the phone call and just got a blunt, "No we can't help...so tough" :blink:

Things are expensive in Singapore. You even have to get a license from the government to buy a car. A license can be anywhere between S$5000 to S$30,000 (many years back - although this is not likely to occur in the near future anymore). Add to that the cost of the rig itself.

After carefully considering my options I'll eventually make a move - and selling the trusted SIIa is not on the list - at least for now. We had many exciting trips in south east asia on this rig... something most of you can surely relate to.

Back to the topic, I'll try to write in to the local authority and let you know the outcome... thanks anyway for the various ideas and views

Bill - there's a small second hand Defender market here - you pay anywhere between US$25k to US$40k. Can't remember having seen any classic RR here

As indicated in earlier posts I'm considering a conversion to a V8 for my SIIa 88'. The local transport authority needs a formal certification from the manufacturer (i.e. Land Rover) that fitting this engine is ok and the rest of the rig is built for it. I would state a conversion to a stage 1 V8 as this is relatilvely mild at 90hp (compared to the 70 odd of the 2.2L petrol).

Has anyone done this before and if yes, how/where did you contact Land Rover? What cost are involved?

Also I heard before that you can request formal production data of your own rig if you supply engine no./chassis no. to Land Rover

cheers

Cant you get away with replacing the 2.25p with a full blown 2.8p from ACR, no conversion needed to fit it and it will still look standard(well almost).

Things are expensive in Singapore. You even have to get a license from the government to buy a car. A license can be anywhere between S$5000 to S$30,000 (many years back - although this is not likely to occur in the near future anymore). Add to that the cost of the rig itself.

After carefully considering my options I'll eventually make a move - and selling the trusted SIIa is not on the list - at least for now. We had many exciting trips in south east asia on this rig... something most of you can surely relate to.

Back to the topic, I'll try to write in to the local authority and let you know the outcome... thanks anyway for the various ideas and views

Bill - there's a small second hand Defender market here - you pay anywhere between US$25k to US$40k. Can't remember having seen any classic RR here

Is Singapore right or left hand drive ? It,s difficult to give away old 2 door Rangeys over here. If your government import duties are not extortionate it may be worth your while shipping one over from OZ.

Bill.

Cant you get away with replacing the 2.25p with a full blown 2.8p from ACR, no conversion needed to fit it and it will still look standard(well almost).

Phil,

good point. In fact that was my first option. When I looked at the cost involved I thought this kind of money buys me a V8 which has more upgrade potential than ACR's 2.8p. I still might come back to this if the V8 route proves too hard to climb

Is Singapore right or left hand drive ? It,s difficult to give away old 2 door Rangeys over here. If your government import duties are not extortionate it may be worth your while shipping one over from OZ.

Bill.

Bill, you can't import anything older than 3 years here - unless it's in component form (if I recall correctly) in which case it has to be to used for the same type model... another dead end.

I'll still try the route of approval via certification from Land Rover when I get the time if I can get the local Land Rover agent (since Land Rover global dooesn't seem to be interested in this) to provide this. The actual engine could come from Malaysia as there's a sizable Land Rover population

one of my neighbours managed 10 years of bumming around with virtually no paperwork in a 110 armed with an old typewriter, a collection of coins and a john bull printing set, if asked he would say he forgot his papers at his last stop, go off for a bit and type out whatever was needed - emboss it with some coins and put a load of stamps and signatures on and go back, it worked a treat :)

We had to invent the "Scottish Vehicle Ownership" document (converted MOT certficate) last year to get CosZuki over the Russian border and used the same technique - no probs, we've gotten away with service books (in fact anything with lots of stamps seems to do) so an official Landrover doc should be a piece of cake

one of my neighbours managed 10 years of bumming around with virtually no paperwork in a 110 armed with an old typewriter, a collection of coins and a john bull printing set, if asked he would say he forgot his papers at his last stop, go off for a bit and type out whatever was needed - emboss it with some coins and put a load of stamps and signatures on and go back, it worked a treat :)

We had to invent the "Scottish Vehicle Ownership" document (converted MOT certficate) last year to get CosZuki over the Russian border and used the same technique - no probs, we've gotten away with service books (in fact anything with lots of stamps seems to do) so an official Landrover doc should be a piece of cake

Scoundrels! Brilliant :D

• 1 month later...
. . . . . armed with an old typewriter, a collection of coins and a john bull printing set, if asked he would say he forgot his papers at his last stop, go off for a bit and type out whatever was needed - emboss it with some coins and put a load of stamps and signatures on and go back . . . . .

:D:D:D

Sounds like Jim Rockford!

This same issue applied in Malaysia (I used to live there) but the "make one up" option was realistic there, as was the amicable finacial transaction with the JPJ. Of course, that's one of the reasons things go downhill when you cross the causeway....

In Singapore, they will check and you will be in deep dooooo. I agree that the cost of a 2.8 ACR will be more than a V8 from Malaysia but what about getting a 2.5 petrol block from Malaysia (plenty of them available in the Cameron Highlands) and building it up with the ACR heads etc. - it would be bloody close to the 2.8 performance but less expensive. Finally, unless your 88" is your daily driver, what about building a truck in Malaysia and leaving it there? It's not like you do any wheeling in Singapore and I know a couple of people who used to do just that - keep a truck in JB.

The 2.5 block is just the 2.495 litre Rover block that came standard on many early Ninties and One Tens. As far as I know, the ACR (Automtive Components Remanufacturing - UK) block is a bored out 2.5 petrol block.

The 2.5 block is just the 2.495 litre Rover block that came standard on many early Ninties and One Tens. As far as I know, the ACR (Automtive Components Remanufacturing - UK) block is a bored out 2.5 petrol block.

The ACR 2.8 is built from either a 2.2 5MB or 2.5 5MB Land Rover engine. In fact you can upgrade a 2.2 engine to 2.5 by changing the crankshaft and conrods.

This same issue applied in Malaysia (I used to live there) but the "make one up" option was realistic there, as was the amicable finacial transaction with the JPJ. Of course, that's one of the reasons things go downhill when you cross the causeway....

In Singapore, they will check and you will be in deep dooooo. I agree that the cost of a 2.8 ACR will be more than a V8 from Malaysia but what about getting a 2.5 petrol block from Malaysia (plenty of them available in the Cameron Highlands) and building it up with the ACR heads etc. - it would be bloody close to the 2.8 performance but less expensive. Finally, unless your 88" is your daily driver, what about building a truck in Malaysia and leaving it there? It's not like you do any wheeling in Singapore and I know a couple of people who used to do just that - keep a truck in JB.

You're right a number of people do that given trucks are much cheaper in Malaysia and real offroading takes place only in Malaysia. We do go offroad in Malaysia and have good friends up there (Johor 4WD club, LROM).

I haven't take the 2.5 route into account but have written to ACR to understand the power/torque of a built up 2.5 engine. As this is a long term project I carefully evaluate the options.