transfer box bearing play

Gromit

Got a new vibration on the truck. Only noticeable going very slowly (5mph)/coming to a stop with no load on the transmission. I suspected a prop. As the vibs have just come on, I don't *think* it's the handbrake drum.

So I took a peer this evening and wiggled and shook both props. Couldn't find any play in the props but the front output shaft from the transfer box moves vertically. Equates to maybe 1-2mm at the universal joint spider and is audible. Also, the dust cap is not seated correctly in the transfer box, possibly allowing crud in. No oil leaking out.

On the rear side, moving the rear prop moves the handbrake drum vertically a teeny tiny bit, but not as much as the front.

I guess I'll be removing props at the weekend to try and diagnose further.

Is this too much movement of the output shaft? :unsure:

Cheers,

Gromit

my t box has about 1-2mm movement on the front, i think that is acceptable.

Hmm, cheers for that. that's a bit reassuring. :)

We'll see what prop dropping reveals.

Land Rover and tolerances is a bit like military intelligence - an oxymoron.

Every now and again I get the same vibration in my hybred.

Last time was driving to Billing after stopping to help someone. Got to Billing and thought oops I'm about to lose the gearbox so chose not to drive the offroad course. Going home I realised that it was due to the handbrake. Doh :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this, in case anyone else has the same problem.

The noise was coming and going, so I didn't bother investigating properly till yesterday.

Turns out the vibes were from the handbrake. Not immediately obvious how, but the actuator could move about on the back plate, thus allowing the shoes to change position in the drum.

So new shoes and actuator retention clips on the way, along with a transfer oil seal, as it was all a bit pooey in there.

Play in the front output shaft bearing is fine, there should be none in the rear though.

The handbrake actuator (expander unit) is supposed to move up and down slightly to centralise the two brake shoes when the brake is applied.

To test if it is the handbrake mechanism, slack it right off and see if the problem goes away.

Les.

Play in the front output shaft bearing is fine, there should be none in the rear though.

The handbrake actuator (expander unit) is supposed to move up and down slightly to centralise the two brake shoes when the brake is applied.

To test if it is the handbrake mechanism, slack it right off and see if the problem goes away.

Les.

thanks for that Les. I reckoned as much, though there was a fair bit of play in there.

Am driving about at the minute with the guts of the handbrake removed and it's grand, so it was the problem.

Will see what new shoes yield.

Is the rear output seal as simple as it appears to be from the parts cat?