300 tdi vacuum pump

freeagent

the Vacuum pump on my 300Tdi has started leaking oil from the top, its enough to have dripped onto the axle, so its move than just damp...

it looks like a sealed unit, and the top doesn't appear to come off...

is it likely to have split/ cracked?

if not, does it come appart for a new seal, and i'm just missing something?

if so, i guess its replacement time.... it still works OK, brakes are fine....

ho hum, more expense.... <_<

the Vacuum pump on my 300Tdi has started leaking oil from the top, its enough to have dripped onto the axle, so its move than just damp...

it looks like a sealed unit, and the top doesn't appear to come off...

is it likely to have split/ cracked?

if not, does it come appart for a new seal, and i'm just missing something?

if so, i guess its replacement time.... it still works OK, brakes are fine....

ho hum, more expense.... <_<

They are apparently non servicable, consumerable items,which i believe are so cheap in the UK that hardly anyone bothers to attempt to fix them. However they are not so cheap over here and I did manage to drill out the rivets that held the head on, in order to replace the spring loaded disc inlet and outlet valves ( CAV fuel pump valves can be used) and reattached the head with 3/16'' pop rivents. It's possible you could further dismantle the unit to replace leaky seals providing you can source them.

Bill.

They are apparently non servicable, consumerable items,which i believe are so cheap in the UK that hardly anyone bothers to attempt to fix them. However they are not so cheap over here and I did manage to drill out the rivets that held the head on, in order to replace the spring loaded disc inlet and outlet valves ( CAV fuel pump valves can be used) and reattached the head with 3/16'' pop rivents. It's possible you could further dismantle the unit to replace leaky seals providing you can source them.

Bill.

You can't (source them that is). Thanks for the tip about the CAV valves.

ps what does CAV stand for? Is it some guy's name like JAP or KLG?

cav is/was a Lucas Brand for diesel fuel system parts, more better known in UK as LucasCAV. Not sure if it actually means something.

I should know the answer to that :D but I don't. Well is was 1958 when I served in the pump room.

AH !!!

A look in one of my old books.

C.A.V.Ltd made injection pumps under licence. Yes the huge Gardiner fuel pumps carried that name when Lucas only made electrical things.

C.A.Vandervell perhaps.

A quick look in a book called The Modern DieselNinth Edition

With few exceptions all British vehicles are equiped with pumps and injectors based on the equipment designed by Robert Bosch A.G. of Stuttgart, the British counterpart of this being wholly produced by C.A.V. Ltd., Acton. London. W.3.

mike FOAK

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I don't bother getting the tee shirt.

The last time I enquired about DIY work on the vac pump, somebody mentioned that it might not be such a good idea - imagine what your insurance company would do if you have a crash and they find out the vac pump's been 'tampered with' (they'll use any excuse to get out of paying up!).

I'm sorely tempted to fix my vac pump (it's got exactly the same leak), but the wider ramifications keep me wondering...... maybe I'm just being a big Jessie :lol:

Dunk

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Landroverace.com is my website, i havent updated it for a while cause i have been building 4wdcentral.com.au which is the other site that was quoted.

I did the vac pump fix on mine after another LR owner did it to his defender, he had done 10000km on his when i did mine and now i have done over 10000km with mine with no problem at all, brakes need bleeding again now but still stop really well, you could feel the difference in the pedal as soon as i refitted the pump and bled the system, felt like new. I was hesitant aswell, but thought what the hell its gunna save me $500 dollars so lets give it a crack.

I cant see it being a problem with insurance unless it is the cause of the failure, and unless the end blows off it, which given the 6-8 bolts holding it on, it will only slowly leak again, meaning its no worse than it was before and then the brakes will just fade and loose efficiency.

Go for it, it works fine. Matt

• 5 months later...
Hi all, Landroverace.com is my website, i havent updated it for a while cause i have been building 4wdcentral.com.au which is the other site that was quoted.

I did the vac pump fix on mine after another LR owner did it to his defender, he had done 10000km on his when i did mine and now i have done over 10000km with mine with no problem at all, brakes need bleeding again now but still stop really well, you could feel the difference in the pedal as soon as i refitted the pump and bled the system, felt like new. I was hesitant aswell, but thought what the hell its gunna save me $500 dollars so lets give it a crack.

I cant see it being a problem with insurance unless it is the cause of the failure, and unless the end blows off it, which given the 6-8 bolts holding it on, it will only slowly leak again, meaning its no worse than it was before and then the brakes will just fade and loose efficiency.

Go for it, it works fine. Matt

Hi ACE,

Just wondering what exactly you had to do to fix the vaccum pump on your rig? I think mine has gone I put a new servo on last weekend and they are still not much better so me thinks it may be the vaccum!!! I still have to check the non return valve and pipes but know its not going to be something simple! That would be too easy!

Do you have a link to how to repair the vaccum pump.

Cheers Ted

The last time I enquired about DIY work on the vac pump, somebody mentioned that it might not be such a good idea - imagine what your insurance company would do if you have a crash and they find out the vac pump's been 'tampered with' (they'll use any excuse to get out of paying up!).

I'm sorely tempted to fix my vac pump (it's got exactly the same leak), but the wider ramifications keep me wondering...... maybe I'm just being a big Jessie :lol:

Dunk

Hi dunk,

Just wondering what exactly you had to do to fix the vaccum pump on your rig? I think mine has gone I put a new servo on last weekend and they are still not much better so me thinks it may be the vaccum!!! I still have to check the non return valve and pipes but know its not going to be something simple! That would be too easy!

Cheers Ted

Hi dunk,

Cheers Ted

Hi Ted - mine' STILL on the 'to do' list :lol:

The thing is, it's functioning perfectly (the brakes are better on this Disco, than on my other one which has no oil leak), so I'm living with an oily axle & track rod (well at least they won't go rusty!!!) for the time being.

Looks like the web-links don't work any more, but from memory it was simply a case of drilling out the pop-rivets that hold the cover on, then sealing it up with gasket sealer and bolting it back down again (that only addresses the oil leak, not a functional problem, though).

Sorry I can't help more - try giving Google a bashing..... or maybe someone who's done it will be along to enlighten us......

Dunk

Hi Ted - mine' STILL on the 'to do' list :lol:

The thing is, it's functioning perfectly (the brakes are better on this Disco, than on my other one which has no oil leak), so I'm living with an oily axle & track rod (well at least they won't go rusty!!!) for the time being.

Looks like the web-links don't work any more, but from memory it was simply a case of drilling out the pop-rivets that hold the cover on, then sealing it up with gasket sealer and bolting it back down again (that only addresses the oil leak, not a functional problem, though).

Sorry I can't help more - try giving Google a bashing..... or maybe someone who's done it will be along to enlighten us......

Dunk

Cheers dunk. fingers crossed its the valve. haven't got time to look till Sat.